1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate 500Gb Ext HDD playing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a 500Gb Seagate external drive, its about 9 months old , it doesnt get THAT MUCH use... it is quite full of LARGE files though, its used on my TV to watch movies and mp3's, its partitioned into 1 WBFS 20Gb partition and a NTFS 435Gb partition - recently its been giving I/O errors and refusing to work, most times in middle of transferring a file it will lock up and i have to kill power to it, I think its got surface errors, sometimes I have to restart win7(64x) to get access back to it - its really getting on my t1t end... ive tried error-check but it locks up after 5 minutes, i dont have anywhere I could store the files (when i can get access) to reformat it etc... I dont want to lose the files either... the MFT is messed up cos ive also deleted a 4Gb file and it didnt appear in recycle bin so i couldnt permanently delete - so file doesnt show in hard-drive but uses the space... sometimes i try to delete old files and halfway through it says "unexpected error try again?" which fails and have to cancel, once its done that the device is unaccesiible , obviously errors but i cant fix it?

can anyone help me please?

thanks

its THIS one

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice