1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate 7200 80 Gb Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eperreaux, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eperreaux

eperreaux Thread Starter

Hi Folks
    My C Drive recently crashed and I replaced it with a Seagate 7200 - 80 Gb Harddrive. I also installed Windows XP - Home Edition.
    First thing I did when I had it up and running was to look at the Properties for the C Drive. I shows it as being 7.82 Gb.
    I phoned my installer and told him about my problem and he suggested that I go to the Seagate Website and get a Seagate disk overlay. Went to the site but you have to be a guru to understand what is there. Can you help me guru's.

Ed

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hello,

Drive overlays are not the ideal way of resolving this problem. The best and most reliable way to solve the problem would be to get your motherboard BIOS updated.

Do you know the manufacturer and model of your motherboard?

Actually, seeing that it recognizes it as 7.xxGB drive, an update for your BIOS to fix this issue may not exist. If there is an update, it should be able to bring you up to the 32GB barrier. Which would be the mostly next issue that you would have to deal with. Which would also be another BIOS update, unless the one you find is one after the year 2000. Then you should be okay.

I know this did not help much, but the system must be pretty old.

Shane

3. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

What do your drives look like in the MMC? What size drive did you have before? But pinntech is probably right. You've simply installed a hard drive that is not supported by your older bios. I attached a pic to guide to the spot. Does windows recognize the unallocated drive space or is it showing the entire drive as 7 gigs?

Attached Files:

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Also, what's the make and model number of the PC you have? If your running XP and it's running fine, I'm doubting whether it's a BIOS issue since the PC can't be that old but I could be wrong.

5. eperreaux

eperreaux Thread Starter

I will try to answer everyone here. My PC is a Pentium II - 232 MHZ
    I (today) installed Windows XP because I lost the key to my Windows 98 disk. Talk about a bad day. Before my crash I had a 1.7 G hard drive in Drive C and a 3 GB in Drive D.
    I have a call in to American Megatrends to see if there is an upgrade for my BIOS.
    Question: If I do nothing at all to my BIOS what happens when I fill my 80 GB hard drive (presently listed as being 7.6 GB) Will I be able to use the full 80 GB's or will my computer tell me that my disk is full once I reach 7.6 GB's??????????????
    Ed

6. pinntech

pinntech

Since the system is very old, I am almost positive it is a BIOS issue. As in, the BIOS will not support that large of a disk. AMI will most likely not be able to help you since they manufacture the BIOS specifically for the board manufacturers. As most of them are never exactly the same.

Did you do what Maritimesea suggested? If you did and it did not show any unallocated information, then it is definitely a BIOS issue.

To answer your question.. No, you will not be able to use the 80GB of HDD. Not with that motherboard. Yes, it will show full when you reach it's 7.6GB capacity.

7. eperreaux

eperreaux Thread Starter

No I did not use Maritimesea mostly because I did not know where to go to find it. Ok I have to change my rating from inmtermediate to dumb
    Ed
    I still need help and love all of you

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb

8Gb gives a 7.45Gb drive. What was the size and speed of your original drive? 5·0Gb?

I think the smallest new 7,200 rev/min Maxtor drives, with an 8Mb disk-cache are 20Gb.

Pinntech will be able to say whether you can use an external storage device by fitting a USB or firewire which does not rely on your computer's system BIOS.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't want to screw around with drive overlays, you could also install a PCI ATAPI controller like the Promise model.

Another option is to check out WIM's BIOS Upgrades, I've used BIOS versions from here a couple of times to upgrade old machines to larger disk capability.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice