Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagate Backup Plus External drive?

486 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
I have a laptop with a docking station. It is 13 port station but it is a little short of USB ports once I get all the mice and keyboards and everything plugged in. If I get this Seagate Backup it has 2 USB ports on front. Can I use those ports to connect/relay it to another external drive. So have the Seagate run my 8TB WD drive and maybe use the other port to attach to my WiFi/router (whatever it is) and so that I can also access the Seagate from anothr other connected device.

Would that work?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210116202047.000000-480
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics, AMD64 Family 23 Model 96 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design
Hard Drives: C: 545 GB (476 GB Free); D: 389 GB (270 GB Free); E: 3725 GB (233 GB Free); F: 7451 GB (6529 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GA401IV, ver 1.0, s/n TI09MC05CJ
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n L9NRKD00577537A
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
Seagate Backup Plus External drive?
This is a drive only Seagate backup plus
If I get this Seagate Backup it has 2 USB ports on front.
This is a drive with built in Hub Seagate Backup + Hub

I think you mean you want to buy the 2nd one and not the one in your title.
If so then is SHOULD work as it is a hub.
However I have not used one and cannot say 100% that it will do what you want but a hub is a hub

Have a look at this Connect usb devices

Cheers
PeterOz

#5 ·
Thank you

If I went with something like this, would I need to buy 2 hdd right off or would it work with just one. It looks like it could hold up to 2 12tb drives, how long would its Intel J1800 Celeron Dual-Core 2.41GHz last. Meaning do these things live forever if you take care of them or do they die too.

This might be a good way to go if I just need to buy a new hard drive every 2 or so years and can keep all my stuff safe. It is also nice if it would run Plex all the time too. (now I have to turn on my computer to run Plex)

https://www.amazon.com/TerraMaster-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I also saw that Buffalo had some inexpensive servers too, but I have only heard the Buffalo name rarely in computer stores. Are they unknown or do they primarily stay out of the home computer/retail world.

(also, are server storage like RAM, if I get one 12 tb drive does the other need to be 12 tb too)

#6 ·
Meaning do these things live forever if you take care of them or do they die too.
Nothing to do with computers last forever. I have HDD'S over 6 years old still running. I had SSD'S
6 months old. Dead
Nas are a good way of running PLEX - make sure the one you buy can run Plex.
Look on the Plex website for nas ideas Plex (Might do your head in) or this Nas for plex
Best is to ask in the forums here if anyone runs Plex on a Nas.
Depends on how big your budget is I would buy at least a 4 bay Nas so you can run a raid.
My preference only. With a raid you can have 1 drive die pull it out and replace it.
The other drives will have enough information to rebuild the data on that drive.
With a 2 drive you can run a Mirror raid.
1 drive dies you replace it and then the mirror is rebuilt. Many here will have other ideas.
crjdriver explains about what raid is Raid.
The other option is to build your own Nas machine. Can be a great learning curve or a Migraine headache
As for Terramaster I cannot advise, you would be best asking in the hardware section.
Buffalo - Same thing ask in hardware forum.
Beware some nas are just the box then you add HDD or SSD .
Some come with them, BEWARE.
I hope this helps
Cheers
PeterOz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.