1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Backup Plus (external hare drive) questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by selinakyle, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selinakyle

selinakyle Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and not super tech-savvy, so my apologies if this is a newbie type of question. Here's my scenario:

I just purchased a Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive with 2TB of storage capacity. The box states that you can "use between Windows and Mac". However, I want to make sure I do this right before I do anything with it. In the past I've had various issues with this actually being true.

I need to be able to read and write data amongst three computers, 2 macs and 1 PC. I'm going to be going to a recording studio (mac 1) and asking for him to make a copy of the stuff we edit together and put the copy on this hard drive. Then, I'm going to be working with this data on two different computers. My home base computer is a PC (PC 1). However, I also work on the road a lot. The computer I work with on the road is a mac book pro (mac 2). I will need to be able to read and write amongst all three of these computers.

How do I make sure that I can do that?

Thanks,
    selinakyle

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

In order for a drive to be able to be read and written to in both a PC and Mac computer, it must be formatted to ExFAT or FAT32 file format. FAT32 has several limitations, including a 4 GB per-file limit. This is a file system limitation that affects both Mac's and PC's, and the only workaround is to format the drive to exFAT. The easiest way to do this is by using macOS's built-in Disk Utility or Windows' built-in Disk Management.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the box says it works with Mac and Windows then it's probably already setup for both.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice