1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gbytes chipset burned - data recovery?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paazikivi, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paazikivi

paazikivi Thread Starter

Hi!
    I bought 4 months ago a hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gbytes), which yesterday got damaged. I´m now looking for a way to get some important files from the hard drive that had´nt been backuped. The drive itself should be intact, it was the chipset outside of the drive that suddenly started to smoke and sparkle. This happened while I was switching the drive with another drive that I wanted to boot from.

I now wonder if it is possible to order from some where only the chipset and then replace it myself? Can it be another chipset from another Barracuda series or does it have to be exactly from the same model? Or are there any alternative ways to get the lost data (ca 3000 pictures)?
    The comåpany I bought the drive from says that Seagate does not sell the chipsets separately, so is can I for instance by a new drive (same model) and then replace the burned chipset with the new one?

Please some one who has suggestions, let me know how to get the pictures, I´m getting scared that I have lost the pictures forever... :( any links or ideas are grateful!
    I attach a photo from the burned chip...

Attached Files:

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

I'm really unsure about the whole chipset malark, but hopefully someone else will pop along to confirm whether it's possible or not - but i wouldn't think so. One way or another, your data can be retrieved though it may be at a cost. There is two ways to go around this, either you send it to a data recovery company OR you can buy the same model hard drive and take out the platters of the malfunctioning drive and replace them in the new drive - though this should only be done under conditions such that have no dust what-so-ever.

You'll find lots of guides on the internet for doing this process.

Nick.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you find an IDENTICAL drive with the same revision level of PCB, it's a trivial exercise to swap the PCB, no clean room required. Do NOT open the HDA, that's the kiss of death for the hard disk! Other than that, you're looking at sending it to a data recovery company. Note that the HDA could be damaged by whatever toasted the chip, it really depends on exactly what burned up and where it is in the circuit.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

No clean room required? Are you sure John? :)

Doing this in a none-clean room will decrease chances of a successful change, for sure!

D'oh, this obviously only relates to the platters :$

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look again. I did NOT say to open the HDA, which is clearly a clean room operation! Removing the PCB does not breech the HDA assembly, and no clean room is required for this kind of operation. Perhaps you need to look at a hard disk a bit more closely... :)

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

I know, muhaha that's why i edited my post ;)

I guess i wrote "D'oh, this obviously only relates to the platters :$" for a reason? :)

7. paazikivi

paazikivi Thread Starter

ok guys, thanks alot! I guess I´ll employ my tech friend for trying to swap the board with one from a new identical harddrive (that I will have to buy first).... then get all data from it and then swapping back the burned part to the injured harddrive and send it to the supplier and hope that I´ll get a new one covered by the warranty :) So I´ll hopefully end up with all lost data plus one additional hard drive...:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice