1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

seagate barracuda 7200.11 1000Gb drive problem, need help diagnosing :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pablomarc, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

so my drive is connected to my HP pavillion dv6133ea laptop through a usb nextar hd dock. it has worked fine for ages but now has started to stop suddenly during access of files on the drive. it's not making any funny noises, spins up fine but after 10 to 20 minutes of use stops working. if I reboot the drive sometimes it says it needs to format disk or if I wait a while it will boot up fine again. tried to diagnose myself and doesn't sound like a crash or notorious firmware problems to me. got it to boot up and tried to run CHKDSK on it. made it about 20 minutes through and suddenly stops. scared to keep trying to diagnose because if it is dying I want to save it's remaining vitality on trying to recover files!

any help is much appreciated!

2. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

BTW I took it to a tech support guy at best buy BC I happened to be in there with the drive and he hooked it up to his comp and said it wouldn't show up but I think he was trying to sell a 1500 dollar disk recovery...

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried it out of the Nextar dock/enclosure? You'd need either a desktop PC or a another USB enclosure. Could just be the enclosure. also what is the firmware of the drive? The Original firmware will be printed on the sticker of the drive but you may also be able to identify it with the Seagate utility or diagnostics.

4. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply triple 6 :)

the firmware version is SD15. Like I said the guy at best buy tried it and said it didn't work but I question his motives and didn't get to see it with my own eyes. I will look for another comp. to try it on...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That is indeed the firmware that is causing the known issues with the drives getting stuck in the BSY state. Did the Best Buy guy try it with the enclosure or without?

If you contact Seagate and if they think, or you can convince them, that it is the firmware issue and that you need the data off it, then they'll give you a case number that you can use to contact i365 thats a data recovery company owned by Seagate and they will flash the drive to the fixed firmware and therefore the drive will become accessible - thats all free. If the drive is determined to have an unrelated issue then they will contact you with the charge to recover the data. Since you're problem does seem to be a little unrelated to the firmware bug it may not solve the issue or it may; you never know.

In any case this shows the importance of having a backup of your important data.

6. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

Bestbuy guy tried it without the enclosure. I really don't think it's a firmware problem based on the the symtoms I've read about. Is it possible it's overheating and shuting down? it seems once it gets really warm it shuts down. if I put it to my cheek it almost burns...

7. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

I have a new drive on order for backing up purposes lol

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well in any case you won't be able to fix it, best you can do is get the data off it if you can get it to run long enough and then warranty it.

You can try putting it in the fridge to cool it and then copy off the data if it seems to run longer while its cool/cold.

9. pablomarc

pablomarc Thread Starter

yup, I think you are right. it will be a long arduous process but it will be worth it BC I will still have my precious data :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice