1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB Hard Drive - Stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AdvocateFA, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdvocateFA

AdvocateFA Thread Starter

This hard drive originally was in my brother's computer. He had XP installed, went to install Windows 7 and after the first reboot, it would just hang on the bios screen.

I played with the jumper settings and such, nothin'. Put it in a few other computers, nothin'.

I was just curious, is it something that can be fixed or should I lay it on my desk to hold down some papers? :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you hear it spin up, is it detected at all? Are you sure you have the jumper set correctly? Have you tried Master, Single, or Cable Select and using it alone on an 80 wire IDE cable.

3. AdvocateFA

Yes, I can hear it spin up and it is detected. After the drive is detected, it causes the computer to hang. I've seated the jumper correctly and I have also tried it on Master, Single, Cable Select and by it's lonesome as well.

I'm at a loss as to what's wrong with it. It worked perfectly fine until we tried to install 7 on it..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. AdvocateFA

I can't get pass the hard drive detection part of the bios start up. Once the drive is detected, the computer doesn't do anything. It doesn't freeze though, I know this because I can press F2 and the message changes to "Entering setup", but never does anything. :\

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If thats the case and it exhibits the same issue on multiple PC's and you've verified that the jumper is correct then the dive is likely toast.

7. AdvocateFA

:( That sucks. I could use the extra 250 gigs of space. Lol.

Anyways, thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice