1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Barracuda HDD Crash?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DalekMaster, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalekMaster

DalekMaster Thread Starter

I have a Segate Barracuda 250GB internal desktop drive that I bought an enclosure for to use it as an external drive. Up until recently it has been spinning up like normal and allowing me to read and write data on/to it. Suddenly, the drive no longer spins up. Thinking it was an error of the cradle I tried another HDD in it and it spun up to the full 7500 RPM's. The Segate does not make any sounds at all, and I can not hear any vibration from it. Any ideas are appreciated and considered because there is around 100 GB worth of important data contained on this drive!

2. MightyMiroWD

MightyMiroWD Western Digital Representative

Hi @DalekMaster!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the drive, I know how extremely unpleasant such a situation could be...

First thing I'd try is to plug the HDD in any SATA port of the motherboard and see if it will be recognized that way because the reason for not being recognized by the PC could be related to the enclosure somehow (even if another drive is working properly with it). You can try more than one SATA cable if you want, and even a different SATA port as well.

If this doesn't help and the hard disk is still not spinning at all, then IMO it will be best to consult with a data recovery company and hopefully the professionals there will be able to recover the information stored on the HDD. Usually the drive manufacturers have a list with their recovery partners, so you can check in their official website if such are listed. For instance, here are the partners of WD:
    http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Nrrpnj

Hope this helps and best of luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice