1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Barracuda Returns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Charles_Hoxey, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charles_Hoxey

Charles_Hoxey Thread Starter

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate

My friend has given me a external HDD now I tried several methods to get it to work.

-Plug and Pray. A lot of this.

-Removing it from the casing and plug it in via SATA

-Looking up on the Seagate site to download Drivers and Firmware. Everything is up to date.
    -Also followed every pathetic suggestion on their troubleshoot page.

My main objective for 3 days has been able to access it so I can format it. After which I could possibly run data recovery although this isn't of great importance as I have the majority of the data he had on my computer.

The only issue is, when plugged in by SATA or USB it freezes disk manager when it is recognized, right clicking the drive freezes My Computer.

Other Notes-
    -It previously worked on his Vista/Acer infested Laptop (temperamental) until he put Windows 7 on his Laptop
    -The SATA to USB interface thing? is Made by Iomega.
    -Showing up in My Computer is inconsistent.
    -iTunes will not open when it is plugged in.
    -Google Chrome gets angry at me also when it is plugged in.
    -It is recognized as a Iomega HHD in those times I got close to Formatting it.
    -Seagate say it has a 30 Second reset time when unplugged. What this resets... I have no idea.
    -If it helps at all: Barracuda 7200.12 1TB/Firmware - CC44/Model Number (I think): ST31000528AS

I hope you can all help, I have cut my Finger on my processor fan so my actual blood, sweat and tears have gone in to fixing this.

Any more information you need please ask.

Thank you in advance.
    Regards Charles Hoxey.

(Sorry for any grammatical errors.)

2. Charles_Hoxey

Sorry to push this.

I understand that everyone is aware that Seagate are very annoying. But I would just appreciate any type of help. A fresh perspective maybe?

That was my first post. But I do intend contribute, I also want to learn from some of the people on here.

I don't want days of work to be just given up on.

Please, any help would be perfect.

3. bigbear

bigbear

If you are not worried about the data then format the drive with a low level format such as KillDisc.
    http://www.killdisk.com/

4. Charles_Hoxey

It has frozen that program as well. :(
    I am going to now attempt it via SATA.

Thank you for the Reply.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Download the Seagate testing utility, free from their web site. Connect the drive internally to a computer as a secondary drive. Run the Seagate tests, both short and long. That utility will tell you if the drive is good or not.

If it's not, problem solved. Most likely, it's not.

6. Charles_Hoxey

Just in time. I not sure if I used that one.

Another problem has come up in that the BIOS knows the HDD is there. Windows 7 hasn't got a clue.

Went to Disk Manager and nothing is there.

7. Charles_Hoxey

Surprise, Surprise.... It freezes up Sea Tools.

On the bright side it is recognized in my OS and KillDisk is trying to wipe it.
    Although the estimated time is going up...

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Think it's safe to conclude that the drive either has bad electronics and/or is riddled with huge numbers of bad sectors. The drive is obviously suffering hideously and should be euthanized.

9. Charles_Hoxey

I am trying to just reset it. So there is no data on it. and then give it back to my friend with my music on it.

If kill disk makes no progress by tommorow morning, does anyone have any idea on how to wipe the drive by via BIOS?

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The drive is bad, Dead. Muerto, Kaput. Croaked.Toasted. Fried. Really and truly, the drive has failed. Short of necromancy, there isn't anything you can do that will make this drive functional. Even if the drive were under warranty, I think you've probably voided the warranty at this point and Seagate wouldn't replace it. Never hurts to ask though.

11. Charles_Hoxey

I would certainly agree with all of the above. I am giving it back to him on Friday night Working or not. Until then I am going to do everything I can think of, and any suggestion I get on here.

12. catlady13

catlady13

How to wipe the drive via bios... well sort of .. use a windows 98 boot disk and format it.

13. Techiewoman

Techiewoman

14. bigbear

bigbear

If Killdisk does not work none of the above will either

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice