1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Barracuda Scratched Platter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mesaritis, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaritis

mesaritis Thread Starter

I have a barracuda seagate 7200.10 500 GB hard disk. The upper platter is scratched from a screwdriver after trying to open it when the disk died after a drop. I have found out that there are companies that can recover data after the disk is dead. The hard disk failed after a head crash most propably. I tried to open it in order to see the damage.There are also small circular scratches from the head crashing onto the platter.

Do you know if the upper platter is used at first before the other platters, because i have my older data backuped? (there are 3 platters inside). Also is the scratched platter unreadable now? The scratch is radial and it is about 2cm long. Are the data recoverable after a head crash because most propably the other platters must have been scratched from the movement of the heads?

Help would be appreciated!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice