1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Cheetah 10k7 vs WD Caviar Black as boot drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ishamm, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

i am looking at buying a cheap 2nd hand seagate cheetah 10k.7 drive for my games and windows 7 as a startup disk, is this advisable, as it is faster (i think) than my current, pretty much full WD caviar green. also it is fibre channel rather than sata, and i have no idea if thats good or bad, i'd never seen it before.
    or is it better to install on a 1tb caviar black i am also going to get.
    thanks for any info, can provide pc specs if nessesary

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I used to use a WD raptor 10k drive for the os. FWIW a more modern WD black series [750gig] actually benched higher than the raptor.

It is up to you however you do understand that the seagate is a scsi type drive and needs a scsi controller to function correct?

FWIW if you want speed, then go with SSD. That WILL provide a big speed increase over the seagate drive AND no need to buy a scsi controller.

3. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

i'd love to get a ssd but cant afford it really, not at the current gb/£ costs
    didnt think about controllers, no idea if my build supports scsi
    i'll probably go for the Caviar black 1tb, unless theres anything better around that price range

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice