Seagate drive working intermittently

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crcook84

So, I have a Seagate hard drive I was using for external storage. Out of the middle of nowhere, it suddenly doesn't want to be read. After some tests, I can get it to be seen in an HDD USB dock. However, the moment I try to do something with it, the computer has a problem. I tried SeaTools for Windows, Seagate File Recovery Suite, & Active Partition Recovery. Either the software sees it and tries to do something or the moment it does something to the drive, the drive disappears or the software crashes. I'm working on finding some partition software for Ubuntu. However, trying to use the command line just to get software to install in Ubuntu drove me nuts.

crcook84

So, after several days of tinkering with trying to "kick start" the hard drive, I suddenly remember doing a PCB replacement for another hard drive years ago. Fortunately, that situation allowed me to just slap the donor PCB on the drive and it started working for me. However, it looks like newer hard drives will require me to bring the original BIOS chip to the donor board. Well, fortunately, the information on the drive is "like to have" as opposed to "need to have". So, this gives me the chance to see how far my "top tier" abilities can take me.

One thing I will take away from this is not to buy anymore Seagate hard drives. The hard drive in my current storage build is probably no more than 3 or 4 years old from purchase. It was never a heavily used drive. It was just there to store some movies and music. I've had only one Western Digital drive die on me. But, that was a boot drive. So, it got heavy use. That was replaced with an SSD.

managed

Allan
I've read that the chip on a hard drive contains calibration type data that applies just to that drive and swapping the pcb without also swapping to the original chip will not work.

As far as drive reliability goes I think all maker's are about the same.

crcook84

So, moving the chip over didn't work. I sent it to a data recovery company to see what they could tell me. This is the important part of their report:

"It was determined that the controller's original ROM is failed logically and/or physically."

So, the BIOS ROM chip had failed. However, this isn't the first time Seagate has seen hard drive failure problems:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/302...on-lawsuit-over-hard-drive-failure-rates.html

I think the lawsuits stretched into 2018 because they had to create multiple lawsuits depending on what the failure was on the drive.

crjdriver

All drive mfg have had problems over the years. I have had drives from WD, Seagate, Maxtor fail however I have never had a WD black or raptor drive fail.
In fact there is a raptor drive sitting on my desk with a mfg date of 2007. It is still working fine and was pulled out of my home theater system simply because I got tired of hearing a raptor drive. They sound like rock crushers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online