1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Expansion Desktop strange failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bruder85, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruder85

Bruder85 Thread Starter

Yesterday my USB drive (Seagate Expansion Desktop 2TB) failed in a strange way. Let me describe the symptoms:

- When I power on the laptop with the disk attached, the boot process (or rather POST) is very long. The drive always spins up, but in this case I only get a blinking light. Nothing happens. No access to the drive whatsoever.

- When I attach the drive to my already running laptop, the disk spins up, make a strange noise that is identical to removing the power from the disc, then it spins down, and the process repeats itself like 10 times. When the disk is fully spinning, the drive is showing in My Computer and Disk Management, but because it makes that power-lost sound it Iimmediately disappears, and the process repeats itself.

I tried plugging it to my netbook - drive spins fine, no "reset", but I can't install the driver. It properly discovers the name of the drive, but driver installation always fails.

I opened it and plugged it the USB to SATA card from the other disk. It runs good, no "restarts", but because those two discs use different USB connectors I can't see if it's working in Windows.

Any suggestions? Is this failure fatal? Can I recover the data from this drive?

I don't have any proper SATA motherboard, so I can't connect the disk directly to check if it's working.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nothing strange there and that behavior is pretty common; external drives fail all the time and fail in various ways.

Best way to determine if its the hard drive or just the enclosure is to take it apart and try the drive by itself either by plugging it directly into a computer or with the use of a SATA to USB adapter. If you do not have access to either one you will need to find a friend who does or take it to local computer repair shop. It's impossible to say if the data can be recovered easily until you determine where the failure is. Even if the actual hard drive has failed there's always data recovery companies that can do it in most cases but that'll cost you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice