1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Ext.HDD Incredibly Slow Transfer Speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weavernater, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weavernater

Weavernater Thread Starter

I've had a 2TB Expansion Desktop Drive (STBV2000300 or "Regulatory Model: SRD00F2") which runs on UBS 3.0 and is backwards compatable with USB2.0. My 1.5-2 year old Samsung Notebook Series 3 (NP350E5C-A02AU) Which has 2 USB3.0 Slots and 2 USB2.0 Slots.

From various "Accidents" with mice plugged into the USB2.0 Slots they are pretty wrecked but still go if set in a particular position. The USB3.0 slots ran at a fair speed up until about 2 months ago, I cannot think of any changes to my PC or Ext HDD that may have caused an issue. The USB3.0 slots work fine and do indeed run at a good speed (not sure what exactly USB3.0 should run at when set up like that) But it's usually up around 155+ MB/s. When transfering from my PC it's usually between 1.6 - 16MB/s.

I can confirm it is not the drives fault for this. It runs fine on 5 of my friends computers. All moving the same 5GB file both from and too the drive all getting a high speed transfer (Not sure of the speeds off the top of my head though, definately higher than 16MB/s)

I have reinstalled drivers for USB3.0 and updated everthing I can link logically and illogically to the USB3.0 ports in an effort to get everything working normal again.

I also have not tinkered with any of the settings on the drive from when I first got it but for all I know something may have been modified. I can provide any info on that if it could help anyone.

Thanks for your time

Weave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice