1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate External Hard Drive Failure.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prof24601, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prof24601

prof24601 Thread Starter

I have a 250 Gb Seagate external harddrive.

I've transferred all my comedy cassettes to Mp3 and put them all onto the drive.

When I turned the drive on today it gave out all sorts of clicking noises and the drive light goes on and off.It sounds very unhealthy.

Most of the time the drive doesn't show at all in 'my computer' but occasionally the noises stop and the drive settles down and it appears with a different drive letter to what it was before.When I click on the drive a get a message 'drive I is not formatted - do you want to format ?Y/N?'

Now I accept the drive is broken and fairly cheap these days to replace but have I lost all my valuable recordings? I know everyone says you should always back stuff up but it's always something you're going to do tomorrow !!!

Is there any way I can retreive my stuff to put onto a new drive (and back up) ??

Thanks

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Clicking sounds are definitely not a good sign.

Your best bet for recovery is to remove the drive from the enclosure, and install the drive as a slave drive in a desktop machine. If you can see the files you need after the drive is installed as a slave IMMEDIATELY transfer the files to your main hard drive. If you can get the data transferred you can then burn it to CD's or DVD's, or to another external.

DO NOT use the problematic drive any more than necessary as you may only have a limited amount of useage remaining to recover the files.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The first thing you can try is to remove the drive from the external case (easier said than done with a retail Seagate) and directly hook it into a system to check that its not just a flaky power supply going to the external.

4. willywonkyogui

willywonkyogui

I also have a Seagate External Drive, 500gB, and lately i've been impressed by this item; how a big company, with all that investigation n' hightech b.s., can put on the market a product that's proved to be working wrong, just because a thirdparty assemble it in a wrong way...

My problem:
    The Disk worked well for 2months, great speed, great conectivity, great look, also very quiet. Then one day it didn't got recognized by the pc i was working on, and a message apeared that info was lost... =(

Then tried to plugged in other computers, and in one it apeeared emty, then it appeared all again, and by the end of the day, after trying with 8 pcs and 2 macs, it wouldnt be recognized...

The solution (im on it):
    Open the case very carefully, stick ur drive as a slave on a pc, try to get all ur info and files in the pc.

The ending (wish it wokrs): (tell u later) =)

any comments...
    suggestions...
    tricks...
    wishes n supports...
    ?

be great, be kind, be loved.
    willywonkyogui

5. willywonkyogui

willywonkyogui

by the way...
    u have to get one of those philips screws that are very tinny, very very tinny!

6. prof24601

prof24601 Thread Starter

Somebody told me that as all was probably lost to put it in the freezer for an hour.

I did this and all my files returned for a couple of minutes but not long enough for me to transfer anything.

I've probably killed it completely but the freezer thing worked for a short while

7. prof24601

prof24601 Thread Starter

The really frustrating thing is that by freezing the drive I can see all my lost files in My Computer,I just don't get any time to transfer them as the drive packs up again quickly

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice