1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate External Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaLEAFornia, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaLEAFornia

CaLEAFornia Thread Starter

I have an external desktop hard drive [Seagate 2T]. I had an issue where my laptop would not recognize it. It was supposed to be 3.0 USB, but after some research found some people with similar problems and the solution was to use the 2.0 USB.
    It did disappear again for a couple of days and then magically re-appeared. I have since purchased a new WD 2T drive in order to transfer the files and return the Seagate as it's approximately 2 months old. However it has not come up anywhere [the Seagate] in over a week. Today I unplugged everything and plugged the Seagate into the USB 3.0 and left for a few hours. When I returned it is now listed in disk management as 'disk 1 - unknown - 1863.02 GB - Not initialized' and in the partitions [in black] simply says '1863.02 GB - unallocated' and no partitions.
    Right clicking gives me 4 options:
    1 Initialize Disk 2 Offline 3 Properties and 4 Help
    Option 3 opens the properties and says 'this device is working properly' but all values are at 0
    Option 4 leads to me to microsoft help topics which basically have all Windows 7 information.... I have Windows 8.1
    I am reluctant to choose option 1 as I do not want to erase or reformat all the information on the drive.
    I am not overly technical, but have read alot in different forums but still consider myself as a novice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

'Confused'

2. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

Weird...

Is there any funny / abnormal noises coming from the drive? Continues clicking sound maybe?
    Does the hard drives work fine on other computers? Try it and let me know... After that we can take it further if necessary.

Best Regards
    Grant

3. CaLEAFornia

Hi Grant,
    Yes there absolutely was alot of clicking and 'whirling' when in the usb 2.0 port
    I have a WDTV media player in another room I tried to hook it up to, but wasn't recognized and that too was alot of clicking.
    It is still plugged into the usb 3.0 port now and there is no noise.
    This laptop is just over a month old and the drive in question was recognized and worked fine up unitl a week or so ago.
    I also have 2 other smaller drives that have no issues with the ports etc

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Is your hard drive formatted?
    Click start/Right click "my computer"/click manage/click "disk management"/See if your hard drive says "Healthy"
    If it says unallocated you need to format it. (Right click, and click new volume and follow on screen instructions).

5. CaLEAFornia

texasbullet;

Ok, by doing this will the data on the drive be lost?
    That is the only reason I haven't already tried that.
    Just being a little overly cautious I guess.

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Yes, all data will be lost.
    If you can find a computer that can open your hard drive I would back up your documents into another good working hard drive.

7. CaLEAFornia

texasbullet

Ok thanks

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you format your hard drive without any problems and your computer has problems opening it, then I would suggest for you to partition your hard drive into 1 TB sections.

9. CaLEAFornia

I already have another drive, I just want the data off the Seagate, and then I was gonna return it [2-2 1/2 months old]

10. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

If it does the clicking thing then it's over for that drive.
    You are going to have to send the drive in for data recovery.
    Will cost alot.

Sorry mate...

11. CaLEAFornia

Define 'cost alot' lol
    And where do I send it to? Seagate?

12. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

I'm from South Africa. Am not sure about prices in Canada (I presume with the flag)

Goto google and search data recovery canada.

13. CaLEAFornia

Yes with the flag, ok thanks Grant

14. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    There are some companies in the USA and around the world that can recover your data for a fee (depends on how large the data is). If your data is important to you then you can send it to recover. If not, then you just have to say good bye to it. You may want to keep your hard drive if you want to, but if it has a guarantee you can send it back for another hard drive but your data will be lost.

15. CaLEAFornia

Ok, I figured I would start out with Seagate and Amazon [where I purchased the drive] first and see if I can come to a resolution that way, if not then yes I will have to pay for the recovery data.
    Thanks for your help guys, and I will post back with the end result

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice