1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate External Hard Drive ISSUES

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AnFKeV, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnFKeV

AnFKeV Thread Starter

OK, so about 3 weeks ago, I bought a 250gb Seagate External HDD. I plugged it in and it worked... last night, all of a sudden, it stopped working. I've tried plugging it into another PC, and nothing... it doesn't even find it. I've tried going to "Manage" and "Removable Storage" and it comes back saying "The service cannot be starter, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. This snapin's display may be inconsistent with the Removable Storage Service. If the problem persists please restart the snapin."

I'm assuming it's the external, because, like I said, I tried hooking it up to another PC and that PC can't find it either. HELP, I have EVERYTHING on this external, and I don't want to lose it. Could it be the USB cable? It's only 3 weeks old! (BTW, I have Windows XP)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The top suspect is the drive's IDE <-> USB controller. The first step is to remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to the secondary IDE channel in your machine (remove the CD/DVD drives) and see if you can access it that way. Since it's not discovered at all, my guess is that the drive is fine, and the controller inside the external case is dead.

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

3. AnFKeV

AnFKeV Thread Starter

Wouldn't that cancel out my warranty?

4. JohnWill

Probably will. You have to ask yourself, which is more important, the warranty or your data. :) If there are no stickers sealing the drive, you can probably get away with it to recover your data.

5. AnFKeV

AnFKeV Thread Starter

haha...data is more important :)

6. AnFKeV

AnFKeV Thread Starter

my main thing is, i'm using a laptop, so it'd be quite difficult to open the laptop to do what you said to try... i've even tried using a different USB cable... that didn't work either.

7. JohnWill

It's not the cable, most likely the internal controller.

Here's a solution for $10 shipped to your door. http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10501935

This little device will allow you to connect the drive and the power and run it externally, which should work fine on the laptop. I have one of these around with SATA capability too for connecting external drives, very handy. :)

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great Price JW...you sure do find them!

9. JohnWill

And I just did a Google search for one to show a typical one. :D I paid $15 shipped for mine that has SATA, but for this job I figured this was the right price. ;)

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

yeah I do the same thing...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice