1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by starnelka, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I have recently had a new desktop PC. Prior to that I had a laptop where Seagate external drive was permanently connected via a USB port. I was running Win7, using FF browser and WLM.
    With the new pc if I leave Seagate connected I can't boot up - the screen stops at BIOS. Everything seems to be running properly as long as I don't keep the external hard drive connected until boot up is complete.
    What can I do so that I don't have to keep disconnecting Seagate each time I shut down?

Hope someone can help and that the solution is an easy one. Thanks.

2. stantley

stantley

Does it boot up OK if there's no power running to the external drive? Can you easily switch the power on and off?

3. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Not quite sure what you mean but if Seagate isn't connected when I boot up all goes normally. Then I plug Seagate in and try to remember to unplug it before I boot up next time.

4. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Switching on and off isn't a problem.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    This is a known issue with some of the early Seagate drives.

6. stantley

stantley

What I mean is does the PC boot up OK if the Seagate is connected to the USB port and the power is switched off?

If so, keep the USB cable plugged in all the time and make sure the power is off to the Seagate when you boot up. After the PC is up and running you can turn on the power to the Seagate drive.

7. Agye

Agye

if is eternal why don't you your boot order? if your usb is set as the first drive to boot from

8. Lance1

Lance1

In other words, check your boot sequence on bootup when the Seagate is contected. Is it first boot? If it is, set the OS drive to first boot.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Lance1,
    The OP states that it is a EXTERNAL drive and besides, to set as the boot drive you would need the OS installed on it. Which in turn would be useless.

10. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Thank you all for your replies though I now find I'm quite confused. Firstly, I haven't thought of switching off Seagate but leaving it connected so I'll try that. As for it being a known issue with Seagate, surely I would have had the same problem when it was connected to my laptop? And I know nothing about boot orders whatsoever.
    Something else it does now which it didn't do before is run a full backup once a week. It used to back up quietly in the background every day without me having to make sure I don't switch off my pc. I've looked at the Seagate program but can't see anything I could change. Very frustrating.

11. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I've checked the drive and find there is no on/off switch so the only way I can turn it off is by removing it from the ESB port.

12. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Sorry, USB port.

13. stantley

stantley

You have an external drive that gets it's power from the USB port, it doesn't have a separate power source, so the method I gave you to try won't work.

Look at the BIOS options, the boot order should be in there. It should be something like:

1. Internal hard drive
    2. USB drive
    3. DVD drive

Make sure your internal hard drive is number one in the boot order. You might also have the option to enable/disable booting from a USB drive. If it does you could set that to disable.

Also what's the make and model of the desktop PC, you still have the laptop listed in you TSG computer specs.

14. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I'm completely flummoxed now as I have no idea how to view, let alone check the BIOS. I'm not up to that standard. Also though my monitor is AOC I don't know the make or model of the PC and I'm too old to go crawling on the floor to try to see what the tower unit says. It was built for me.
    Not much help am I?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice