1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate External Harddrive error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jn668, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

I have a problem with my Seagate external harddrive. It won't let my computer start. It stops at the BIOS screen and does nothing. I tried pressing the BIOS setup or System recovery but it doesn't work. I found out that my external harddrive was the problem after serveral tries. I took the plug out of my computer and restarted it. It worked fine. I plugged it back in again to the computer and it was detected in Device Manager but not detected on Windows. In Device Manager it said there was no problem at all. However when I clicked computer the external harddrive didn't show up. I also have to mention that I dropped my harddrive accidentally. It keeps making a beeping noise every other second. It was a regular beep, nothing out of the ordinary. I also tried diagnosticing my drive. However that was a problem too. It made another error. I also tried to plug the external harddrive to another computer and it also made the beeping noise and it didn't show up on the otehr computer. I'm starting to think that this is an external error with the parts inside than internal with software and other stuff. I don't think that I like recovering my data with experts because it costs a lot of cash. The ohter option is to replace my drive with another one from seagate. The warranty is still on and won't expire in a while.

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Dropped? Even a gentle drop will kill it.

Try it on another machine. Then, check your warranty.

4. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

You mean on another machine than the one I tested before.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Is the Beep coming from the external ... or the computer ????
    http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/BIOSBeepCodes.asp

Yes .. a different computer

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. I think you have done all the testing you can.

If it is under warranty, you can't take it out of the case. Time to make a claim on that warranty and kiss the data good-bye. Good thing you had everything backed up, right?

7. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

Yeah I back up my data but on the external harddrive because that was what I wanted to do. I couldn't backup my data on anything else. OH yeah and the beeping came from the external harddrive not the computer.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's good you still have the originals then if the external was your backup. Just use your warranty and get a new one.

9. Jn668

Jn668 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!