1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate external not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Autonutz, May 17, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Autonutz

Autonutz Thread Starter

Hello! Had a few questions about an external drive that stopped working. I havent used this in a few weeks and went to plug it in and didnt see the the light go on or hear the drive spool up.
    Ive verified that the power supply is working correctly as well as dismantling it and testing the drive in my pc with sata(not showing up because of the specific external format i assume)
    Im wondering if there is a way to use this drive in another external or just install it in my pc without losing the 3.5 TB of media i have on it? [​IMG]

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most external drives are formatted as FAT32 which is visible from just about any operating system. If it was used/formatted on a linux system, then there might be a problem reading the drive in windows.
    If you connected the drive as an internal drive and it still does not work, the drive has most likely failed. External drives are not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for a few reasons;
    1 Heat. External drives are not designed for continuous duty. They are designed to switch ON and make a backup then OFF. The exception to this is if the drive has it's own cooling fan.
    2 External interface. Another part to fail which an internal drive does not have
    3 Shock damage from moving the drive around. Again an internal drive does not have this problem
    Perhaps. Have you run data recovery software to see IF you can recover anything [when it is installed as an internal drive
    If that does not work, you can ship the drive to a shop that does data recovery however this is NOT cheap. A very basic recovery using software can run $250~300 or so. If the drive has to be disassembled and have the platters read, the cost goes way up from there.
    In any case, data you do not backup is data you do not care about and you should expect to lose said data. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice