1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Free Agent Drive causing boot up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ManAtWork, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManAtWork

ManAtWork Thread Starter

Bought me a 320 GB Free Agent external drive by Seagate. Plugged it in to USB 2.0 port; works flawlessly. Problem is, when I shut down and reboot the computer, it seems to interrupt the boot up process, causing a black screen, and stopping the boot process right there. I made sure that it wasn't included in the boot devices in the BIOS, and this boot up problem happens only about 50% of the time. If I unplug the drive, it'll boot up fine almost 100% of the time. Any idea what could be happening here? I'm running XP home, with 1.5 G of memory, and two internal 80 GB HD's. I tried plugging this drive directly into the tower, and into a hub - same problem either way. (Actually seemed to occur more frequently when plugged directly into the tower.)

The site's tech support pages have no drivers to update (plug and play), and doesn't tackle this problem.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is probably a BIOS issue. I have two systems here, (the two newest), that have the same issue. When I boot with a USB device attached, the BIOS gets confused about what device to boot, and there's nothing in the BIOS setup that will make it right.

Do what my doctor prescribes for issues like this: "If it hurts when you do that, don't do that". :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice