1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Seagate Free agent pro to Patriot Core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dano_61, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello

I connected my Seagate Free agent pro portable hard drive to my Patriot Core media player, the media player is connected to my tv via a HDMI cable, I used a USB cable to connect the Seagate to the Patriot player, the problem is the Seagate is not showing up in the Patriot player menu

Any suggestions

Thanks

Dan

2. Sponsor

3. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

AC powered or USB powered external drive? The unit likely doesn't supply enough power for a USB powered drive.

There are also size limitations noted in the User Manual. 256GB for flash drives and 2TB for HDD's

4. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hi Jim

Ac powered

5. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

You could try a different USB cable.

Otherwise (assuming the drive works with other devices) I'd suspect some incompatibility between the two. You could check for a firmware update for the player.

6. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Jim

I had the drive hooked up to my computer with the same USB cable that is not the problem
    The firmware up is for the Seagate ?

7. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Cables don't always fit into various sockets properly. So it's best to try a different cable. This isn't necessarily a matter of a bad cable, more an issue with how the connector fits into the socket.

And the firmware would be for the player.

8. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I never understood the firmware thing or the process of updating it , I get the update from the vendors site ? And how do I know I have the right version

9. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Firmware is basically the software used by a device to function and it often includes information on how to interact with other devices or media. The process for updating varies by the device.

As I noted above, there are limitations noted in the User Manual for external drives. And as is common with many devices, they simply don't always work or work properly with all external drives.

In any case, firmware is likely not going to be a solution. That player is old, and the official forum doesn't appear to be in use any longer: http://forums.patriotmemory.com/forumdisplay.php?21-PBO-Core-Media-Player-Help

10. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I will mark it solved thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185388