1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate FreeAgent Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by yvettegr, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvettegr

yvettegr Thread Starter

I have an iMac 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.5.5.

The 500 GB Seagate Harddrive shows up with the info that 391.37GB is used with 74.27 available. But when I click on the hard drive it show the 74.27 available but shows zero files.

Sometimes, when I click the hierarchical structure shows up and as I click on a folder it disappears until all the folders have disappeared.

When I try to run Disk Utility I get two errors:

Unable to checksum EX-8 (name of the drive). (Permission denied)

First Aid failed
    Disk Utility stopped verifying "EX-8" because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I tried running Repair in Drive Genius 2 and get the following error:

Device Error
    Unmount failed for device 'disk2s3' with 'Operation not permitted (The disk may be in use by an application.)' (0xC001).

Any ideas anyone?

2. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

is it an external hard drive? or is it a hard drive inside an external drive enclosure? ...
    have you tried using the disk utility to re-partition it? ... i would use the "erase" tab in the disk utility and recreate the partitions in the "partitions" tab.

i actually am not a fan of seagate. in my experience they kinda suck for hard drives. i wouldn't be surprised if it was something wrong with the actual hard disk.

i would also try using a different port (is it usb? or is it firewire?) and restarting your computer with it plugged in to the new port. and maybe even try it in a different computer to see if maybe windows will reformat it for you and then you can take it back to your mac and reformat it for mac.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Was the drive always used on a Mac? Was it pre-partitioned and where did the data that is on it come from?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice