1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Freeagent external drive not recognized.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daxrod, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I bought a Seagate Freeagent 250g external hard drive about 4 years ago and have not any problems with it since. Recently however, after an especially rough moving trip, my computer no longer recognizes the external drive. The power light on the external drive does not turn on either. Everything else I plug in works, so I know it cannot be the computer. I have tried using different cables, trying it on other people's computers and nothing works. In fact, whenever I plug in the external drive, the entire computer slows down significantly and then gets notically faster when I disconnect the sick external drive. Do these descriptions of the problem sound like anything anyone out there has ever come across? Please forward some info if you can. I would really hate to lose all the sentimental files I have in there. Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Dead. It could be the enclosure and you may be able to access the files by removing the hard drive and moving it to a new one or connecting internally to your machine.

Check the connector carefully, too. "Slowing down" could be a short, so it may be a bad idea for the machine as a whole to plug it in at all.

All hard drives will fail. It is a very bad idea to keep "sentimental" files with no backups. Especially since external drives, overall, may be the very least safe place to keep things - they can be dropped or jolted.

3. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

Thank you for the prompt response. Do you know of any threads with step by step instructions on how to open the case? Also, I would need instructions on how to internally connect to the drive. Thanks again

4. uncbba06

uncbba06

Is it a white enclosure? it should have some screws in the back where the adapter and the USB cords plug in. remove those and pull it out slowly.

5. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

okay, ive opened the case and pulled out the hard drive. there are two cables. one labeled SATA, and another slightly smaller one that i believe is the power. are you saying i could open my desktop and there will be a place where i could connect the drive in there without removing my c drive??

6. uncbba06

uncbba06

Yes, there should be a space either right above it or below the C drive to slide it in. First, see if the cables leading from the enclosure to the external drive were connected all the way ... that might have been the problem all along.

when you open the tower and slide the drive in you should have extra cables just hanging around. Since its and SATA drive the power cable will be a black slim long headed wire and the network cable will be a slim but small headed one.

post what you see when you get it open

7. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

my desktop is and old dell dimension 4600. does it have SATA connections?

8. uncbba06

uncbba06

how long have you had it? probably will not...buy you can go to best buy or any computer store and get a plug that will fit the old head on one end and have an SATA connector on the other.

9. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

thank you. I will keep you informed

10. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

okay. i removed the hard drive from the enclosure and determined that my computer does not have a SATA compatible connection, so I cant read the removed drive on my machine. What next???

11. Hughv

Hughv

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice