1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate FreeAgent External HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by climbsteve, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. climbsteve

climbsteve Thread Starter

Hi all

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand 750Gb External Hard drive.

I scanned it and rand file restore software to make sure it was totally clean. Then I formatted it too (you cant be too safe). Anyway, it worked long enough for me to put all of my family photos on and music, films work and other photos.

However now it has stopped working. When I plug it in it crashes the computer, and it does the same to the boot up whenever I plug it in. I have tried to use the safe remove hardware, and this is where it gets confusing.

The computer is recognising it in Device manager and the safe removal, but it wont let me safe remove (crashes) and it also wont let me populate the volume to see if that works (crashes again). Sending it off to be fixed isn't an option (my girlfriend would kill me......the photos you see......:cool:).

Is there anything I can try, I'm rapidly loosing hair at pulling it out.

Cheers Guys

This forum is great (y)

Steve

2. Morny

Morny

Hi Climbsteve and welcome to our TSG forum

Have you tried plugging in the external into another computer?

3. climbsteve

Hi Morny

Yeah I tried it into a desktop and it had the same effect of crashing the computer, delaying startup and not allowing me to safely disconnect it.

Thanks
    Steve

4. Morny

Morny

Hi, I meant to say earlier, that I'm not sure why you used a File Restore software when you just wanted to delete data? Just formatting it should take care of unwanted data from the preious owner and it will soon get over-written.

However, I am baffled as to why it should keep crashing your computer. Are you able to view what is on this external HDD?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The good news is that some of these have a 5yr warranty. You would need to go to the seagate site and input your serial # to see if it is still under warranty.

External drives are just not as reliable as an internal drive. This is for two reasons;

1 Heat. Unless the case has its own cooling fan [which most do not] then it is NOT made for continuous duty. Most people buy these things and just have them running all of the time or whenever their system is pw ON.

2 The extra interface of the enclosure. This adds one more item that can fail along with the drive itself. Couple this with seagate's less than stellar reputation for reliability and you have problems.

What is the purpose of this drive? Did you buy it for backups, extra storage, what?

6. climbsteve

Hi Guys,

Thanks for te replies, I think I just used the software as I had it on the computer and wanted to give it a whirl haha. I can't see what is on the Hard Drive as everytime it's plugged in it crashes everything.

I can't send it back, even if it is in warranty due to the photos that are one there (my girlfriend seriously would no longer be my girlfriend :( ) and, more importantly, I have some very sensative work on their for my employers which I couldn't encrypt as I dont have any software to do that.

Thanks again

Steve

7. climbsteve

Sorry, meant to say that I was just using it as storage, to run my itunes off and as a backup for my own, and friends' laptops. It was switched off as soon as I was done using it.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. climbsteve

Thanks for that, I have ordered a lead and will give it a whirl once it comes. If I cna wipe it then I can take it someone who can fix it without my girlfried cutting my manhood off haha

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice