1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate FreeAgent Go external drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a94buffalo, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a94buffalo

a94buffalo Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go external drive that I have used frequently in the past to backup and store data. My laptop (Win7) is not recognizing it when I plug it in now. I have been through Disk Management and Device Management, but haven't figured out what's wrong yet. The computer does make a small sound both when I plug in the USB cable and when I remove it, but I cannot find any access to the drive. I may have removed some files that the Seagate drive came with inadvertently when removing some data. I've been to Seagate's support site, and was able to install the "Seagate Manager", which also now does not recognize that a Seagate drive is plugged in. Any ideas on how to get this drive to come up?

2. pip22

pip22

Did you fully check in the bottom-right panel of Disk Management to see if a ribbon for the external drive is shown there ? (it will have no letter and no model name and may also be labelled as "Raw").

Check again and if it's there, right-click it and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
    Then click "New", choose a letter and click 'OK'.

3. a94buffalo

a94buffalo Thread Starter

I have checked it again and there is only "Disk 0" (internal hard drive) and the DVD "E:" drive listed.

Additionally now, I have discovered that none of my USB storage devices are being recognized by my computer. I have SanDisk thumb drives with data on them and they do not show up either, so I believe the problem is not with the FreeAgent Go drive, but with Windows (?) .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice