1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB external hard disk not detecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by infinite_scale, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinite_scale

infinite_scale Thread Starter

I have a brand new Seagate Free Agent GoFlex 1 TB external HDD. Actually it's my dad's and I was suspicious that it might have a virus. So I booted my laptop through Ubuntu and plugged my Seagate once it booted successfully. There was no virus, just some default files that can be found on a new HDD, like UserManuals, an exe file also which I guess might have been the driver. There were some other files as well but I can't remember the names. Relieved that there is no virus, I formatted the Seagate HDD because I knew (or believed) that those files aren't really necessary to run the HD. A message appeared which said the disk couldn't be formatted properly but still was opening with no data in it. Yesterday I wanted some data from my friend and plugged in the HD in her computer. The HD did open and drive window appeared with no data in it. Everything fine. Suddenly the window disappeared and drive was not there even in My Computer. I unplugged and replugged the HD many times but the HD could not be detected. Now I can't use this Seagate HD, as it's not even being detected. :mad:

What went wrong? Did something happen due to the deletion of those default files? Or something else went wrong?

Please help!

2. fewkesy

fewkesy

When the drive is plugged in, does it appear in the disk manager?

(To get to disk manager click START > Right click on Computer > Manage > Disk Management)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Create a new partition, deleting any that may be there now, and then format it. If you got an error, it was never formatted properly to begin with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice