1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SeaGate FreeAgent GoFlex 500gb Beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grubz, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grubz

grubz Thread Starter

Hello i have a FreeAgent GoFlex external drive with 500gb for my laptop made by seagate. Last night i turned off my computer and unplugged it now when i plug it in it makes a beeping noise and does not load up on my pc. After a while the beeping stops and it goes black pleasehelp me im begging you.
    -grubz

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the drive may have failed. Hopefully, you have backups.

What "goes black"? Your screen?

Try plugging it in before booting the machine.

3. grubz

grubz Thread Starter

i didnt have any backup is thereay way to recover it??!!??

4. grubz

grubz Thread Starter

and the small light on it goes black

andwhy would it fail its only a few minths old

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Drives fail all the time. External drives are the worst of all storage media, except maybe for writing your data on water. One owner of a GoFlex lost his drive when it dropped only 3-inches.

Any file that is not backed up is a file you should expect to lose.

Pro recovery shops can help, but they often cost into the $1000's for a drive.

If it is not under warranty, you could try taking it out of the case and connecting directly to an adapter or inside a desktop.

Definitely try it on other machine(s).

6. grubz

grubz Thread Starter

thanks. i lost a bunch of schoolwork and data now. damnit they need to make them more reliable and stronger,

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

SSD drives work better as externals because they have no moving parts, but they cost more. Just about anything that would not be damaged so easily by dropping would be better. If you are not moving the drive very much, it's better to have your drive internal.

But nothing is reliable enough that you should go without backups.

Sorry.

8. Snake5943

Snake5943

If you still own the hardrive there are some company's who will try to recover the data for you

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050285