1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500gb external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helloz, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helloz

helloz Thread Starter

My drive took a bit of fall. Now, when I plug in the USB the computer does not recognize it...at all...it does not even indicate that new hardware is attached...

Also, the every 10 seconds or so, the drive makes a faint beeping sound.

Any suggestions?

Thnx

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Was the drive running at the time of the drop? Maybe it disloged something or maybe the USB circuitry was munged or maybe the drive took a kak. Other forums favor mostly kaked hard drive. If its still under warranty and there are no obvious marks from the fall I'd say return it. The cases are almost impossible to get into without knowing the secret right? Otherwise I'd say you could pop it out and take a ganger and see if it worked hooked directly into a SATA (most probable these days) channel.

3. helloz

helloz Thread Starter

Yes, it was running at the time of the drop!

It's 500gb with eSATA and Firewire capabilities.

Trying out the SATA connection is a good idea, as the USB connector is not a little loose.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm afraid that even the mildest of drops will ruin a drive. It is probably dead. Time for an RMA and your data is lost unless you spend quite a bit of money to a professional recovery service.

5. helloz

helloz Thread Starter

Also, what is with the beeping sound? Is it a good or bad sign?

6. helloz

helloz Thread Starter

Elvandil - That is not good news. There was a lot of data on there. Is it worth it to try the eSATA connection, or is the beeping sound terminal?

Helloz

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's worth trying everything. But I've been through this more than once and hate to bear the bad news, but....

The head is probably sitting in a heap in the corner.)-:

8. helloz

helloz Thread Starter

Ok. I'll try eSATA and cross my fingers.

Thx,
    Helloz

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice