1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Seagate Freeagent Pro slow to respond

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dano_61, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello

My Seagate Freeagent Pro has been slow to respond when trying to access files, this just started, i noticed the unit is running hot when transferring files

I am running Dell3000 XP

Thank you

Dan

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    without knowing which machine in the series of dell 3000, its possible there are usb3 ports available. be sure the seagate freeport is plugged into your usb 3 ports on pc. look for a strip of blue in the port.

if not, visit the makers website to check for drivers for USBs or updating drivers in Device Manager.

have you seen any error messages, as the heat could also indicate a failing drive

3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

It is a Dell Dimension

I have a USB hub, which is plugged into the hard drive, I have not seen any error messages , it only gets hot when transferring files, Seagate is only 6 months old, i checked the device manager under Universal serial bus controllers but it does not tell me which is Seagate

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  4. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    if there is another pc/laptop available. connect the Seagate Freeagent drive, this would narrow down the culprit. if the same issue occurs, heating, etc it would suggest there is a problem with the drive.
    have you tried directing connecting the drive to the pc without the hub to see if this helps with transfers or the 'hot' issue.

also, visiting the dell site to check for any possible firmware updates.
    check first to be sure this is the correct ID for your pc model and if so, run the system analysis scan. see button.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dimension-3000/drivers

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I went to Dell and did a system check and driver check, everything ok, i moved the Seagate USB to back of computer , it is not showing up now in Device manager now
    When I plugged the unit back in, i got this popup below

Attached Files:

6. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    it shows the connected device is connected to a usb port that has less transfer speed and offers a view of all ports including an enhanced usb.

the best port for transfer speed, is the enhanced port and should be used as the optimum port. try other ports to narrow down the actual enhanced port. a reboot to refresh the system and connecting to another port could also help.
    see the freeagent pro support page to check for updates/downloads for earlier OS's .
    http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/freeagent-pro-classic/

7. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I want to thank you Bob, everything seems to be working faster, I moved my USB
    Internet stick to the hub seems to have sped up my connection, I will close the thread

Dan

8. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    your welcome, :)
    and thanks for replying to let us know

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Its never been so fast, the unit is still hot but not too hot to touch, I read Seagate run hot, I will monitor it, so you know if there is a way to measure the temperature

10. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    a program like crystalDiskInfo is a freeware program that monitors and displays disk temperature and drive information of internal/external drives. see here:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-health-monitoring-utility.htm

seagate have their own drive test downloads though im not conversant with them. but it may be an option, if needed
    http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

12. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice