Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagate GoFlex Home - Login Issue

Solved 
25K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  minimustangs 
#1 ·
Just as some background..... I have 2 of these Seagate GoFlex Home NAS devices. A 1Tb version, and a 2TB version.

Lately the 1TB version has been giving me issues with logging in. I have it as a mapped network drive which should up under My Computer. It (and the other 3 NAS drives) show as disconnected when I first look at them. Seagate NAS 2TB and the 2 disks on my DLink DNS323 connect as soon as I clcik on them, and I can view files no problem.
THe 1TB Seagate asks for authentication, despite the credentials already saved. It should just open right away as the other 3 drives do. When I enter my PW, I get refused.

- I know my login UNAME and PWORD.
- I can access the server from the static IP I set.
- When I click on Seagate Share (this is through the web interface) it brings up the directories and ultimately the files on the NAS no problem. Then... if I click on the mapped network drive I can access the files.

I shouldn't have to open a browser, and login to the server first. I don't have to do that on the 2TB device, and never has to do this before. I don't know what has changed to cause this behaviour.

Would appreciate some insight.

I'm concerned that the device or the drive may be going bad... but I have no direct eveidence of that, just some quirky login behaviour.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been digging around the web for information on this, and I'm not getting anywhere.

This morning I'm getting "bad user name or password". The credentials for this drive have not changed. I had at one point set up an exception so that credentials would be remembered. THe drive is on a Static IP. This is starting to become very frustrating, now today, even after opening the server via the IP address, I can't get into the mapped drive.

I have just rebooted the drive, waiting for server to come back on line. See where I get then...

OK, after rebooting the NAS, I have access.

#3 ·
Shut PC down, when I rebooted Seagate NAS again not accessable. Only this NAS drive acts like this.

Rebooting NAS

Asks for credentials. Supply the correct password, and I'm in.

Stumped.

#4 ·
A new development today. I got home and turned on my PC; tried to login to NAS. Failed.
Leaned over to power cycle device and the LEDW on the front wa Solid Orange, not green.

Apparently this is what it means:

Solid Amber (Yellow) Light
A solid amber light means there is an issue with the connection to your network and that the GoFlex Net network adapter is not communicating with the Pogoplug service.
  1. Check that one end of your network cable is securely plugged into the Ethernet port on the GoFlex Net network adapter, and the other end is connected to a functioning port on your network router or switch.
  2. If the network cable is securely connected and the light is still amber, the network cable or the Ethernet port may not be functioning properly. To test this, connect the network cable to a different port on your router or switch. If the issue remains, try a different Ethernet cable.
  3. If the light remains amber, unplug the GoFlex Net Network from the power source and plug it back in.
  4. Ensure that DHCP is enabled on your router. DHCP is usually enabled on home networks. If it is not, you will have trouble connecting to the GoFlex Net. If you need assistance enabling DHCP on your router, see your router documentation.
  5. You may have a firewall installed that blocks UDP, or UDP is disabled on your router. The GoFlex Net network adapter will not function properly if you have a firewall set up that blocks the transmission of UDP packets or if UDP is turned off in your router configuration
After I power cycled the NAS and logged in, I was able to access it. The Led was green. I will check UDP on my router, as I was messing around in there the other day, but still... the 2TB drive isn't affected, so I don't really think that is relevant. NOr do I think the port on the switch is bad, or the cable is bad, since after a restart it functions just fine. DHCP is on of course. So, discounted 1 - 4, and probably 5 too.

What is Pogoplug?

#6 ·
I google that, thanks. Dont believe it is related to my issue though, as I'm not using any cloud based or USB-external drive based stuff.

#8 ·
Yeah, but nothing really jumped out at me that sounded relevant to this. Reason I say this is the device "seems" to work fine after being restarted, and nothing I've come across mentions that. OR, how to turn whatever that feature is off. While it's a reasonable workaround, it is a change in how its always worked in the past..

#9 ·
Solved.

Fearing that either the drive itself or maybe the server portion was on its way out, failing, I backed up everything off the drive to another unit. Scanned the drive and cam up with 1 bad block.
Did a DoD wipe, deleted partition and formatted. I know the wipe was overkill and totally unnecessary, but hey...

After the drive was formatted I installed it back into the server base. I was able to see the device attached, but not active. Logging in to the server, I formatted the drive (through the server). I was able to access the drive at this point.

Because of my login issues I elected to reset the entire device. I had to reset it 3 times, but in the end it took, and I set the NAS up as I had before.

I am happy to report that since doing this I can access the 1TB NAS without having to restart it.

So, login issue solved.

Other than 1 bad block, I'm back to a fresh drive....

S~

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.