1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Hard drive not showing up - can't access data!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkybuddy, Feb 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. sparkybuddy

sparkybuddy Thread Starter

Hi,

I've got a Seagate Hard drive with tons of footage on and suddenly out of nowhere I can't access the data.

Here's the facts of the situation:

When I plug it in it whirls for a moment and then goes silent.
    A blue light comes on the hard drive and stays on consistanly.
    I've tried an identical Seagate drive on the PC and it loads without issues - this was also using the same USB cable.
    I've tried plugging it into 3 pcs and it doesn't work on any of them.
    I've gone on device manager and the hard drive doesn't show up there. When I show hidden items it's listed there. Following advice online I tried uninstalling it. When I then plug it in, it recognises it that it's plugged in, but still won't let me access the data.
    I've tried the free trial of the Segate data recovery software, but that doesn't recognise the hard drive either.

Any ideas? It'd mean so much to get this working again!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello sparkybuddy, and welcome to TSG.

Seagate has many models of hard drives. It might help us to help you if you narrowed it down to your specific model number hard drive.

3. sparkybuddy

Hi! Its calles Seagate Expansion Portable Drive

Model: SRD0NF1

any help would be great. thank you!!

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. sparkybuddy

Hi, just been all through that and none of it seems to help.

when I'm on device manager and plug it in it recognises that it's there, but that's the only sign I've had that the computer knows it exists.

none of the data recovery software I've downloaded seems to realise it's plugged in.

6. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

So this is an external drive. What version of Windows are you using? What does device manager tell you about the status of the drive? Have you tried changing the drive letter via device manager?

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You had originally stated it showed up as a hidden device in Windows Device Manager. Does it show up at all in the Windows Disk Management Control Panel?

8. sparkybuddy

I've tried the hard drive with both Windows 10 and Windows 8.

Device Manager says it's not plugged in. When I uninstall the device and then plug it in, the PC recognises it again and it says it's working normally (even when it says this it fails to show up on the file explorer) then after about 30 seconds the PC makes a noise like you've unplugged a usb device and device manager says it's not plugged in again. Despite this, the blue light stays on consistantly until I actually unplug it.

Does this sound like it's a mechanical failure? Could a motor have gone wrong? When it's first plugged in I hear it spin for about 3 seconds and then 2 quiet clicks and then the sounds slows to a halt all within about 6 seconds.

9. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

It's hard to say at this point. This kind of behavior could be due to a number of different factors. It's good to approach this types of problem systematically. Did you reinstall the driver for the hard drive? Did you try changing the drive letter?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice