1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoyP, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoyP

RoyP Thread Starter

This might be a silly question, but I have a Seagtate Barracuda 7200.7 hard drive 160GB that came out of my very old Dell desktop.

Is there any way this can be connected to my new desktop as an external drive?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Absolutely, you just need to buy a USB enclosure for it. You will need to determine if the drive is SATA or PATA(IDE); they have different connectors on the back and get the matching enclosure. The model number of drive would help with that.

3. RoyP

RoyP Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, looked into price of enclosure which varies £18 - £24, but I can buy a brand new external drive 160GB for £18 so I might just as well go down that route and have a brand new drive.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing that Rob recommended an external hard drive enclosure because he (like me) assumed you wanted to connect that old hard drive to your new desktop so you can retrieve personal data from it.

Since that doesn't appear to be the case, I agree with you that buying a brand new external hard drive is the better option.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well a 160GB external drive must be very old, the smallest new drive they make is 500GB. You can probably find enclosures for half the price you list.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice