1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scubasjl, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

Ok i have a seagate harddrive its 80gb, the model: ST380012A. And heres my problem, the hard drive spins up and everything i go into the bios and its detected well at least it displays the model in bios. Now if i go to say a windows xp install disk it doesnt see the hard drive all together, if i boot up to win xp it will freeze up while loading xp. Any ideas

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like the drive is dead and I assume this is a used ide drive?

3. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

yeah its used, i dotn remem what was last on it, but it starts up and spins and sounds great,

4. Codemaster

Codemaster

Got another PC to try it in?

5. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

ive already tried it and it came up with the same thing, im woundering what i used the hd for, i believe i had it in my pc, then i replaced it with a larger hd and thats about it.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Jumpers set correctly?

7. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

yup, says no jumpers for slave, and thats what im doing my first hard drive mnaster jumper is on it, and this is slave so no jumper, cables are plugged up, i no all the simple steps are into testing it, i looked at it and then a friend did, and yeah everything is correct, i prolly could get a 3rd 4th or 5th person lol, but im more 99.99% it isnt a jumper or cable cause im use to that stuff had older pc's and the jumpers had to be in a certain way to work with each other i mean weird ways.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No jumper for slave does not sound correct. No jumper is sometimes used for a master single drive. See this quote from seagate's site.

"Drive is Slave - Use this setting if the drive is an additional drive on the cable and the original drive is set as Master"

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Chuck,
    On Seagate ide, slave is off, that is correct. I am looking at a Seagate 40 gb and it does not show the usual distinction for master with and without 2nd drive.

10. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

well it says it right here on their sticker not sure where to up a picture but i will if need to be,
    Heres the jumers
    1-2-3-4
    5-6-7-8

Master = 1-5
    Slave = None
    Cable Select = 2-6
    Limits drive capacity to 32gb's = 4-8

Hope u all understand how i did the jumper pins as numbers, if not to bad :) its a seagate 80gb, model # = st380012a and yeah it was pulled from a emachine T2482. Machine was for parts a friend gave me since his aunt bought a new pc, and my friend didnt no what to do with it so i took it, i never booted the system up before cause the memory stick was missing and im still using pc133 :)

11. bigbear

bigbear

Try cable select

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go ahead and try CS; do make sure both drives are jumpered for CS and you have an ata66 cable. These cables are color coded; blue mb or controller, black master device, gray slave device.

13. scubasjl

scubasjl Thread Starter

no that didnt work ether, its prolly just hopeless to even get this hd to work errrr

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/583514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice