Seagate Hdd not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jonnyapppleseed

I have a seagate hdd that contains data as well as windows 10 installed and when I attach it to me computer it turns on during boot up, I hear the arm clicking back and forth, but then it stops and my computer doesn't register that its on. How do I keep it from turning off? Is it even possible to connect a hdd that contains an installed windows on it?

crjdriver

Is it even possible to connect a hdd that contains an installed windows on it?
Yes, however booting from that drive is problematic. It will not boot [usually] unless you follow the procedure outlined at the top of the h/w forum for this task.
I hear the arm clicking back and forth
This is often referred to as the "Click of death" The drive is probably failing however you can test it as outlined below.

The very first thing I would do would be to test the drive with the seatools boot disk or usb.
Here is a link for seatools for dos or boot;
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Make the bootable usb or cd. Boot your system from that disk and run both short and long tests. Note the long test may take a while depending on the size of the drive. If the drive passes ALL tests, you can clean install windows on the drive or whatever you want with it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts