Solved Seagate HDD showing minimal capacity

cuttlefish

Ian
Hi folks, A couple of years ago I bought a Seagate portable/external 2 TB HDD.

I thought it had been happily backing up everything but out of interest I checked it's contents and under "properties" found it's max capacity shown as 32 GB consisting of 30.5 used and 1.5 free.

I've explored all the contents, run chkdisc but everything seems OK.

When I look at the actual files and folders stored on it they all add up to the above 30.5 GB........wondering what is going on here?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

Right-click on Start and select "Disk Management". What do see for your drive there?

For example I have the following external Seagate drives:
  • Seagate Expansion Desktop 2 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive STBV2000100
  • Seagate Expansion Portable 1 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive STBX1000100
This is what I see for them with "Disk Management":

Your backup program is creating the backup files to their maximum capacity of 32GB (theoretical maximum), which is a limitation of FAT32...probably used for compatibility purposes.

crjdriver

You have 1.8TB unallocated on the drive. If it were me, I would delete the existing partition so the whole drive shows as unallocated then create a single partition using the complete drive; format with ntfs. Now copy back whatever files you want.

Do understand that doing the above will destroy all data on the drive so you need a current copy of whatever you want to save.

You can also just extend the existing partition into the unallocated space. This will preserve the data files. Up to you how to proceed.

cuttlefish

Ian
Thanks for that, all done and worked perfectly!

Had a few anxious moments that I hadn't chosen my C drive by mistake before hitting the dreaded ENTER key but all AOK!

crjdriver

You are welcome. I will mark this as solved for you. You can also mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts