1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Maxtor external drive 'not recognized'-how to use as internal hdd?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by extent, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extent

extent Thread Starter

My Seagate 500Gb external drive is no longer recognized, its an unknown device-how to replace the small circuit board inside the external hard drives casing, which connects the psu and 27 pin (sata?) cable to the hdd? I think the board is the cause for the device not being recognized. The drive has stopped functioning, although it whirrs and its light comes on every single time I connect it to the pc. The drive and its content do not show..in devices I have an unrecognized device, and many usb devices that shouldnt be there. I found out that moving the usb cable gently at the hdd connectors end has helped show the drives content in the past, but now its not working or showing anything at all, so I think the circuit board inside the casing (that connects the hdd to the usb and power supply) may have been the problem from the start. The drive connects with a standard psu and 27 pin connector, which I think is sata.

My external hdd looks like it has a smaller version of the connection within the blue circle here (this is what the circuit board connects to), but everything else in this shot is missing (since this pic is from an internal I found off the net, not my external):

[​IMG]

As seagate are unlikely to send me a new replacement circuit board for the external so that the hdd might function once more, I am wondering if its possible to make the hdd work on any desktop as an internal hdd? I know I can get 27 pin to usb cables, but that still leaves me needing to provide power to the drive-since it was the seperate circuit board that the psu connected to and not the drive itself? I have managed to backup the drives content already, but is it possible to get this drive working once more, if its just the circuit board causing the connection problem? Thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It would help to have a picture of the actual drive.
    In the picture you posted,the area you circled is
    a standard SATA power and data connection.
    The right is power and the left is data.
    That drive also appeards to include a standard
    molex power connector on the right side of the drive,
    so you wold want to use one or the other of the power
    connectors,not both.
    What concerns me is you say the sata connectors on your
    drive are smaller.

3. extent

extent Thread Starter

My own drive is an external hdd, taken out of its casing. Its a 15+7 pin sata, data and power, as you say. I think 'looking smaller' may just be my own assumption, I am probably wrong and its identical :) ..but none of the other connections shown above are present, since this drive would have connected directly to a circuit board, both inside the external drives casing. The circuit board has a mini-usb port and power supply port, which is pretty standard.

I believe the circuit board to be broken, causing the issues with the hdd I am having, which is why I have removed it,looking for a way to connect it directly to a pc without both the case and board.. for connecting to the pc, all I think I now probably need are standard sata data and power cables if I have a pc that is sata capable... but I wonder if its possible to get a docking station for my 15+7 pin drive, eg if I wanted to try it with a non sata capable desktop or laptop. im guessing that these stations just arent compatible, and wonder if theres another way to get it running on an old machine.

thanks

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  5. extent

extent Thread Starter

thanks for that. I thought my external drive (which has been taken out of its casing, using the different number of pins) might only work on a pc using regular sata data and power cables on a sata enabled desktop, but this might be worth a go :) cheers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice