Solved Seagate Power Cable Caught Fire

bradley27

Has anyone ever had their external harddrive power cable (the end that plugs into the drive itself and then the other end into your electric mains) burn on the inside blowing out white smoke and then eject black plastic paste out?

I was absolutely shocked when this happened today!

I had the drive plugged in to get some files off it and it kept struggling to stay connected so i unplugged the whole thing pulled the cables out for whatever reason (i never normally) and then moments after this i could hear static sizzling and i looked behind me and the cable was blowing out all this white smoke.

Its about a year or so old now.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
so i unplugged the whole thing pulled the cables out for whatever reason (i never normally) and then moments after this i could hear static sizzling and i looked behind me and the cable was blowing out all this white smoke.
1. I presume you did not power off at the mains supply end of the power cable to the drive
2. If you did not my guess is that you pulled the cable rather than the actual female jack if that is how the power connects to the enclosure and established some form of short
3. OR you did nothing wrong and the drive is some unknown make of poor quality = as with the AC power adpater.
4. OR if is a well known good quality make and you did niot establish some manner of short, then you simply bought a one-off bad one.

As it is only about a year old, if it is WD, Seagate, Or any other accepted make with UK agents or UK based I suggest you contact them, even out of guarantee, such occurrences should be met with offers of replacement providing you can satisfy them, you did nothing wrong
Your first approach is to the seller. It is them that you had the contract with not the manufacturer.
However I would still infoirm the manufacturer.

bradley27

Well the drive was a Seagate 1TB Desktop Expansion Drive, i pulled the USB connection out of the PC first and then i pulled the power cable out the back of the drive and then pulled the plug out of the wall. I got onto Amazon and they are sending a new drive and power cable out so thats a good result im just hoping the drive is okay so i can swap everything over when it arrives from old to new.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers- as you say good result from Amazon
Sorry I failed to notice Seagate on the title
I would not connect the new power to the exisiting drive, just in case the fault has damaged the circuitry in the enclosure

bradley27

Its all fine, managed to get that data off the drive and onto the new one...HOWEVER im about to post a new thread now about my internal D Drive now...

WHEN DOES IT END!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online