1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Settles Suit Alledging Deceptive Gigabyte Definition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm placing this in the hardware forum because this is where many have posted their question about why there is so much space "missing" from their new hard disks.

I've never varied from my contention that hard disk manufacturers were engaging in deceptive advertising when they defined a Gigabyte as one billion bytes. (A Gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes.)

These people chose to sue Seagate as opposed to other manufacturers; but, even though this case never went as far as judgment (settled out of court), a defacto precedent has been somewhat set.

Of course they admit "no wrong-doing".

Here's the article:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action...articleId=9045141&taxonomyId=19&intsrc=kc_top

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

It is confusing because there are many different computer terms which sound similar, but are very different.

I think they should label drives according to what the consumer "sees", therefore a 500GB drive would be sold as a 465GB drive and a 320GB drive would be sold as a 298GB drive.

I think you could compare it to selling a car which gets XX mpg but everyone gets YY mpg because most people use a "different gallon" (US or imperial).

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

What it boils down to is that drive manufacturers have for many years falsely puffed up the capacity of their drives, fully aware it was deceptive. Because no one had the temerity to call their hand on it, they got away with it for so long they began to believe they had made new mathematical law.

They know what it is. I know what it is. But, it's like they are saying to me 'you're so ignorant, we'll never tell you the truth about it' and you'll never know any different.

It's the emporer's new clothes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice