1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seagate Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrandmaMouse, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrandmaMouse

GrandmaMouse Thread Starter

I have a 500 GB Seagate Go external hard drive I have used for about a year. I have files and pictures saved to it that are not backed up anywhere else. Suddenly it has stopped working. When I plug it into my laptop I get a beeping noise for a short time and then it stops. In Device Manager it says it is not plugged in even when it is. Is there any way to fix this without losing my files and photos and without spending hundreds of dollars? I'm a beginner with these things so need to explain it to me so I understand what you are talking about. Thanks if you can help. Lesson learned about backing up backups! Hope I can get my files and photos back because I am heart sick at the thought I may have lost everything.

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Hello, Have you tried using the HDD with other computers or using i different HDD with your computer?

3. GrandmaMouse

Yes I did and it did not work. I forgot to mention my Seagate Free Agent is portable not desktop.

4. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I had the same problem and tried a new USB cable - fixed the problem.:)
    Try it.

5. GrandmaMouse

Tried that. didn't work.

6. Megabite

Megabite

You could try and take out the hard drive from the enclosure and hook it direct to another PC..My Freecom did similar and I took it apart and installed it directly to my PC (desktop) and it worked.

7. GrandmaMouse

I am going to try this this weekend. I had to buy a SATA data cable and will need an extra power supply cord. Will let you know what happens.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice