1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Assistant broken

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stars1234, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Thought I'd give this a second try--see if anyone has an idea, other than a complete reinstall.

Search for Files/Folders not working

------------------------------------

I have a problem with the "Search for files & folders" function. Indexing is turned off.

When I do a search for the single letter "a" or other combinations that start with "a," "ab," "ac," "ag"... the search looks at the WINNT directory, only.

For example, a search for "ad[obe]" will scan the all the drives.

But, a search for "ac[robat]" only scans C:\ or C:\WINNT.

If I search for "ac[robat]" specifing it to look at a drive other than C, then it searches that drive properly.

It's only when I do a search looking at "my computer" or all "local hardware," does it exclude certain letters and look at C:\ or C:\WINNT\ for that letter/letter combination.

Any ideas? --sys. is clean of viruses, etc.

Bob in Provo

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have no particular attachment to that search function, you might just use a different searcher. I use Agent Ransack in XP and find it faster and more thorough than the MS search. It's free. It has no adware. Registration is optional. It works.

3. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Thanks,

I just put agent ransack onto my startmenu. Looks like it works fine.

Obiviously, my Search with my W2K is broken. Now it's a matter of curiosity--where is the file, can I export it from a cab and rerun it, where is it holding it's info. It is definitely only searching in C:\Winnt.

I don't like not know where things are located or how to fix them.

Thanks again for the new program, looks a lot better than the old search.

Bob

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice