1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Assistant in OE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by neteal, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neteal

neteal Thread Starter

I am having trouble customizing my search assistatant in OE 5.5. When I choose the customize feature, no matter what search engines I choose,( I usually pick MSN, Excite, and Northern Light) Wish7.com is the only search engine that the program allows me to use, and it isn't even one of my choices. When I choose the "only one search engine" option, I usually choose MSN , and that part of it works fine. I've gone through all of the steps several times on how to customize, but its not working. And its just been the last 2 months that I have been unable to customize my search. Any suggestions? Thank you.:)

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

This is just a thought: Use F3 and do a search of your C: hardrive for this file; sp.dll

Post back with your findings. :D

3. neteal

neteal Thread Starter

I did the search and it turned up nothing. Now what? Thanks again.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Hi Em, welcome back. :)

neteal- Try this.

In Internet Explorer, select Internet Options from the Tools menu
    On the General tab, click Languages
    If English [United States][en-us] does not appear in the list, click Add

or

Select English [United States][en-us], and then click OK
    In the Language Preference dialog box, select English [United States][en-us], and then click Move Up to place the selected entry at the top of the list
    Click OK to close the Language Preference dialog box, and click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box

5. neteal

neteal Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply. I tried what you suggested and that didn't work either. I have been looking in the archives this afternoon and couldn't really find anything that helped. this is frustrating. Any other ideas? Thanks

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Not offhand. The few times I have seen this problem there never seemed to be any real solution. Just happened to run across that suggestion while looking. I will keep at it and let you know.

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

Thanks Doyce. Always here, just quite when I can't add my two cents worth. :D

neteal, it was a reach. I have seen this sp.dll file that sets the search feature in IE to one site and one site only. It writes to the registry and filters down through a web site often un-noticed by the user and installs itself in a sneaky way. Although you mention OE (Outlook Express) I assume you mean IE 5.5 (Internet Explorer) as I haven't see a search setting for Outlook which is an e-mail program that comes with IE. Maybe I didn't understand what you were trying to post.

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

9. neteal

neteal Thread Starter

Emtronics: you were correct , I meant to say Internet Explorer, not Outlook Express.
    Doyce: I looked up the link you gave me, and tried the "reset websettings to original default". That did it. My search bar is working again like it should. Thanks to both of you for your help. I am so glad there is a site like this to help people out. Happy New Year!

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

So glad it worked. I was out of ideas. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice