1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"search" button doesn't work in windows explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emo235, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emo235

emo235 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Don't know what happened but my "search" button stopped working in
    Windows Explorer. After entering the search criteria, I press the search
    button and nothing happens. Any suggestion? Thanks for any help .. Ed

Windows 2000 Pro.
    Internet Explorer 6.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd just use Google as a home page and search from there. FWIW, I don't even have the search button on my IE6. :)

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I assume you did mean a search of the PC from Windows Explorer not IE.

Anyway, does the search work if you access it from the Start Menu? When using search, does the window just disappear and nothing happens or does the search window stay on the screen?

Do you have a firewall running?

4. rude

rude

Start/Run Type: regedit ok
    Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" Restart
    Hope this works for you.

5. emo235

emo235 Thread Starter

Bryan,
    Thank you for your interest to help me with my Search button problem.
    Yes, I have the problem with *Windows Explorer* (not IE).
    Search doesn't work from anywhere (start menu, etc.).
    When I hit the Search button (after entering a search criteria), nothing happens. The search window stays until I close it. Feels as if the button
    is dead!
    And, yes, I have (ZA) firewall running.
    Hope I answered all your questions. I will appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Ed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rude, Thanks for your registry change suggestion. I have already the value as you suggest it: No Find = 00 00 00 00. Thanks anyway.

Johnwill. Thanks for your suggestion, but my problem is with Windows Explorer (not IE), therefore, I don't think that Google search would work.
    Thank you anyway.

6. brother bruc

brother bruc

Hey, I'm having the same problem as well; whenever I try to search for something via the Start Menu, the computer freezes for a second, my toolbar goes blank, and I have to wait a few seconds for everything to repopulate.

Also, my IE doesnt seem to be working either [not really a problem, cuz I use Mozilla].. but would the two problems be possibly related? Thanks.

PS: OS is XP.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'd suggest both try to search from SafeMode and see if it work's from there. If it does, then that would narrow the problem down to a third party program or service causing it.

To boot to SafeMode, restart the PC and keep tapping the F8 key. You should see a menu with a bunch of options appear. Take the option for "Safe Mode" and once in SafeMode, try to do a search. Once your done, restart the PC and let it boot back to Normal mode.

Let us know what happens.

8. emo235

emo235 Thread Starter

Bryan and Brother Bruc,
    I logged in Safe Mode and tried the Search in Windows Explorer and in Start Menu. Exact same reaction. Doesn't work.
    I don't know if that helps. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

By the way, search works in IE 6.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ah ha, Windows Explorer, I fell into the IE trap. :)

10. brother bruc

brother bruc

Hey guys

Yes, I tried logging into Safe Mode [shouldve mentioned that earlier], and everything is working fine; its when I log into my user like normal that the problem happens.

Also, I should mention that around the same time this happened, it appears that my computer got infected with scagent.exe. While I've since gotten rid of / disabled that process, I'm wondering if possibly there were other ramifications to the virus...

But I digress; sorry if I'm giving out extra [unnecessary?] info. emo; maybe you'd like to check that out?

11. brother bruc

brother bruc

Quick update; just logged back into reg. mode and so far, IE / Windows Explorer seem to be working fine... I guess running multiple scans on the drive by PestPatrol seem to have done it. :/

Good luck with your situation, emo.

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Emo235, goto the link below and get HijackThis.zip

Be sure to download it to a new folder you create. I usually create a folder in ProgramFiles and name it HiJackThis. Then unzip it to the new folder, double left click on the .exe to run it and then save the log of the results by clicking on "SaveLog". Then open the .log file using Notepad and Copy/Paste the log results to a reply here.

BTW, are you update to date with all of the Service Packs for Windows 2000? Do you recall when search stopped working and if you'd done any software or hardware updates, removals or additions prior to that? Any Windows updates done prior to the problem first occuring?

http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html

Brother Bruc, I'd suggest that you post a HiJackThis log too but please start you're own new thread in the Security forum. It's hard to help two people using the same thread.

13. emo235

emo235 Thread Starter

Bryan, below is the log file of the HijackThis scan. To answer your questions, I recently ran Windows update, and reinstalled ZoneAlarm because it was acting real weird. Unfortunately, I don't remember when SEARCH stopped working. Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks, Ed

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 5:23:47 PM, on 9/19/2004
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Lite\DKService.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\GoBack\GBPoll.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv50.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
    C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Free Surfer\fs20.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Tray Pilot Lite\TrayPlt.exe
    C:\Program Files\NoAds\NoAds.exe
    C:\Program Files\IE New Window Maximizer\iemaximizer.exe
    C:\Program Files\AutoSizer\AutoSizer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Restore Desktop\RestoreDesktop.exe
    C:\Program Files\Frontgate MX\frntgate.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\FREEME~1\fmempro.exe
    C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\GoBack\GBTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\ICONDESK\IconDesk.exe
    C:\WINNT\webshots.scr
    C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    F0 - system.ini: Shell=
    F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - NOLOAD{724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboForm.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DownloadAccelerator] C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAP.EXE /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Inicio.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [freesurfer] C:\Program Files\Free Surfer\fs20.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tray Pilot Lite] "C:\Program Files\Tray Pilot Lite\TrayPlt.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NoAds] "C:\Program Files\NoAds\NoAds.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IE New Window Maximizer] C:\Program Files\IE New Window Maximizer\iemaximizer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AutoSizer] "C:\Program Files\AutoSizer\AutoSizer.exe" /h
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RestoreDesktop] C:\Program Files\Restore Desktop\RestoreDesktop.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FG1_00] C:\Program Files\Frontgate MX\frntgate.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeMem Pro] "C:\PROGRA~1\FREEME~1\fmempro.exe" autostart
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FastInternet] "C:\Program Files\Fast Internet\FastInternet.exe /Q"
    O4 - Startup: ICONDESK.lnk = C:\Program Files\ICONDESK\IconDesk.exe
    O4 - Startup: MiniReminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\MiniReminder\MiniReminder.exe
    O4 - Startup: Reminders - Check.lnk = C:\Program Files\Multi Reminders\reminder.exe
    O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Roxio\GoBack\GBTray.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: ieSpell (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Software (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Free Surfer (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Free Surfer (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O15 - Trusted Zone: www.bankone.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: www.drsfostersmith.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: www.peapod.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowssecrets.com
    O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
    O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://www.comcastsupport.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} -
    O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/axscanner.cab
    O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader Control) -
    O16 - DPF: {5F426A93-0821-47D2-A126-5A48A874B289} - http://212.145.159.194/251065/dialercab2/WebRecomendada.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6EE39BFC-2FB6-4B69-9D05-CFC10E4F5B3E} (MavenBootInstallerAXControl Class) - http://client.maven.net/client/mavenBootInstaller.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38102.477337963
    O16 - DPF: {A8658086-E6AC-4957-BC8E-7D54A7E8A78E} (SassCln Object) - http://www.microsoft.com/security/controls/SassCln.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {B80F9FCE-DFDD-4A2A-8AA9-E05C6B7D4ED3} (SWToolBar Class) - http://www.smileyworld.com/toolbar/SmileyWorld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I don't read these HiJackThis logs regularly so I usually defer to those that read them daily. I see few things that I know can go but I'm going to move this to the Security forum and let someone there suggest what needs to go. I'm not sure it will fix the search problem but getting your system clean is the first thing to do before looking further for the cause. After someone's helped you clean it, if the problem isn't solved, I'll move your thread back to the Windows 2000 forum ....

15. Flrman1

Flrman1

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these. Close ALL windows except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

F0 - system.ini: Shell=

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=

O2 - BHO: (no name) - NOLOAD{724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - (no file)

O16 - DPF: {2B96D5CC-C5B5-49A5-A69D-CC0A30F9028C} -

Restart your computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice