1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search by User Name

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by stuart Allison, Apr 9, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. stuart Allison

stuart Allison Guest Thread Starter

The search my user name does not accept more than 12 characters.

Stuart

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Make sure you're entering it as a username (on the right side of the Search page), not as a keyword (on the left).

3. stuart Allison

stuart Allison Guest Thread Starter

I can only enter the following.

stuart allis

Thanks.

Stuart

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Just some confirmation.

I tried the same thing, and Stuart is right. The Search by Name field will not accept more than 12 characters as input.

5. Schnitzu

Schnitzu

But, if you un-check the tic box labeled "Exact name", you will likely get the search that you want.

http://forums.techguy.org/search.php?searchid=8139

However, the search field displayed on the screen certainly is large enough to imply that more than 12 characters should be possible. There is lots of room, but data entry stops at 12 characters.

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Well, you can always click on the user's name in a post and search from there.

7. Schnitzu

Schnitzu

Thats true, but it doesn't give you all the options. You can find all the posts that way, but you can't (as far as I can see) "find all threads started by". Also, you can't choose a specific forum to search or specify a sort order.

8. kath100

kath100

To find all threads started by...
    Click on the name in the post, then view public profile, there it is.

9. hewee

hewee

If I do a search on hewee and use the " Search by Key Word " box I get --- Showing results 1 to 50 of 1602.

If I do a search on hewee and use the " Search by User Name " box I get --- Showing results 1 to 50 of 4458.

If I click on my user name from a post I get --- Showing results 1 to 50 of 5000.

If I go to my profile and then click on " Find all posts by hewee " I get --- Showing results 1 to 50 of 5000.

If you look at the " Tech Support Guy Forums: Members List " I got --- 26,101 post.

Also seeing how the memember does not show up the way it used to where if I looked I would be 3rd from the top I did a search on hewee.

10. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    There's another thread here where we talked about it... searching by keyword only finds posts where your name was mentioned. Any search has a max of 5000 results so we don't kill the sever.

11. hewee

hewee

OK thanks :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice