1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Companion & KB831430

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skooze, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skooze

skooze Thread Starter

OEM (but have XP Pro, SP2 disk)

Can you tolerate one more question regarding lost dialog boxes in windows Search Companion? There is no yellow triangle alert nor missing file alert, just an X. Except for trying the msconfig method in KB831430, I have read/executed nearly every other method presented here in the forum--still cannot get dialog boxes to display. First I loaded a fresh copy of I386 then ran sfc /scannow, then checked for the presense of the 4 srchasst .dll's in %systemroot%. I ran all regsver32's mentioned, installed Srchasst.inf. I checked the registry for correctness of CLSID's; all paths were ok. I reregistered Jscript.dll, jscript.dll. I have a "succeeded" message for everything. Everything appears to present where it belongs, but still no dialog boxes.

Nothing else seems to be wrong with the system, so I am reluctant to reinstall XP or revert back to SP1 to be able to install the MS fix. I am hoping the msconfig thing will be the answer. Or maybe it has something to do with installing SP3?

My questions about KB831430 msconfig instructions:
    1) in step #4, what file(s) should I restore? just the jscript.dll?
    2) in step #5, can I use my C:\I386 file?
    3) in step #6, what is the correct path to save the restored file(s) to?

All thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Skooze

2. skooze

skooze Thread Starter

partially resolved by installing Windows Search 4.0. I would still appreciate any new suggestions to get the original search function working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice