1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Engine queries redirected

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by k30galla, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k30galla

k30galla Thread Starter

My brother's search engine(yahoo,netscape,MSN) queries result in directing him to the Tweakxp.com site. Is the following information provided by Tweak reliable as to how to fix this redirection?

1. You need to navigate to where the “hosts” file is on your computer. Below is a list of what directory the file is in depending on your operating system that you should navigate to using the my computer icon on your desktop or in your start menu:

Windows 95/98/Me: c:\windows\

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

Windows XP Home/XP Pro: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

2. Delete the file called “hosts”. If you can not delete the file try renaming it. If you still can not delete or rename the file then boot your computer in safe mode by pressing F8 when you computer boots up right after the power on self test screen.

3. The final step is to try to remove this program that is hijacking your “hosts” file. As of 10:00 AM September 25 there is no program that will just remove the malicious program yet. In the mean time, download Spybot Search & Destroy by clicking here. Once you have the program installed, open SpyBot and select the "immunize" icon on the left and then check the box "lock hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers". This will stop the program from modifying your "hosts" file again.

Thank you

2. Top Banana

Top Banana

That information is correct. You can also navigate to the hosts file, open it in Notepad and delete the search engine entries.

Delete all the entries beginning with 64.191.95.139

3. k30galla

k30galla Thread Starter

Thank you Top Banana. I did exactly as you said and now my brother's searches are back to normal. I

4. Top Banana

Top Banana

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice