"Search Enhancement Pack" on start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sensiblehorses

I am trying to transition a PC from business use to personal use. It takes a long time between Windows start up and a point that it is useable. When it is finally ready a screen pops up with a folder in it that says "Search Enhancement Pack". In it's former life I beliece this PC was used as the server for a small office network. I would like to disable what ever makes this pop up in an effort to reduce the wait time between the time I turn it on and the time I can begin to use the PC.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Click Start > Run > copy and paste the following command:

Code:
regedit /e C:\look.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
Click OK.

You will find the report it creates at C:\look.txt. Please open it in Notepad and then copy and paste the report in your next reply.

Please do the same with the following command:

Code:
[B]regedit /e C:\look2.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"[/B]
This will produce a report at C:\look2.txt. Please copy and paste that report as well.

sensiblehorses

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"hpsysdrv"="c:\\windows\\system\\hpsysdrv.exe"
"PreloadApp"="c:\\hp\\drivers\\printers\\photosmart\\hphprld.exe c:\\hp\\drivers\\printers\\photosmart\\setup.exe -d"
"Recguard"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SMINST\\RECGUARD.EXE"
"IgfxTray"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\igfxtray.exe"
"HotKeysCmds"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\hkcmd.exe"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"S3apphk"="S3apphk.exe"
"ACSTray"="C:\\WINACS\\ACSTRAY.EXE"
"PS2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ps2.exe"
"AlcxMonitor"="ALCXMNTR.EXE"
"LTMSG"="LTMSG.exe 7"
"SmartDefrag"="\"C:\\Program Files\\IObit\\IObit SmartDefrag\\IObit SmartDefrag.exe\" /StartUp"
"WUSB54Gv4"="C:\\Program Files\\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\\InvokeSvc3.exe"
"MSC"="\"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security Client\\msseces.exe\" -hide -runkey"
"IntelliPoint"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft IntelliPoint\\ipoint.exe\""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
@=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"
@=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"
@=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"
@=""

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"SmartRAM"="\"C:\\Program Files\\IObit\\Advanced SystemCare 3\\Sup_SmartRAM.exe\" /m"
"Microsoft Works Update Detection"="c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Works\\WkDetect.exe"

Is there some reason why you don't just reinstall Windows for your own use? I have found that using machines that were used previously or for other purposes are full of unexpected surprises and it is nice to have your own installation so that you are familiar from the start with any changes it has gone through and what settings have been changed.

sensiblehorses

I could re install Windows XP but I was hoping to preserve the MS Office Suite that is installed on the PC

I see. If you have an installer for the Office suite, you could retrieve your serial number and install it again. If not, I see what you mean. :D

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Please do the same with the following command:

Code:
regedit /e C:\look.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Choice Guard" /s

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
OK. Click Start > Run > copy and paste the following command:

Code:
cmd /k reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Choice Guard" /s
Click OK.

Copy the Command Prompt output and include it in your next reply.

sensiblehorses

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Choice Guard
CurrentVersion REG_SZ 2.0.48.0
InstallDir REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Choic
e Guard\
ProductCode REG_SZ {F0E12BBA-AD66-4022-A453-A1C8A0C4D570}
PACKAGE REG_SZ WLX
InstallDateTime REG_NONE 4AE1B34B00000000
C:\Documents and Settings\Brenda>

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Well, theoretically, Search Enhancement Pack should be easy to uninstall... :)

Click Start > Run > copy and paste the following command:

msiexec /x {F0E12BBA-AD66-4022-A453-A1C8A0C4D570}

Click OK.

sensiblehorses

I am out in the field until Monday. I will try that as soon as I get back home. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online