1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Extender/Download Accelerator problems on WinXP

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by syc0path, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

My brother's laptop is a Toshiba w/ a 2.8GHz P4 and 512MB RAM running WinXp. I installed an old version of Download Accelerator Plus and it seemed to be working fine. Then he started complaining that he couldn't download files from websites or P2P programs -- it just gives an error that DAP couldn't be loaded. So I checked it out and his computer got infected w/ Search Extender and Home Shopping Assistant. I found instructions online and spent most of the day yesterday cleaning it up, and I'm pretty sure that I got rid of Search Extender and HSA. But I was still having the same problems w/ DAP. Apparently he uninstalled DAP, so I reinstalled it and noticed the GUI was different. It was also hijacking the browser -- in the past, I could always turn it on and off when I wanted, control what filetypes it downloads, etc. But now it's activated any time I tried to download anything. It also asked me if I wanted to update it, which it never did in the past. So I think he updated it and the newer version is much more of a malware program than the old version was.

So I found instructions here:here to remove DAP. They're pretty long and involve a lot of regedit. I cleaned everything up according to the instructions, and while I was in there, I noticed that were some remaining Search Extender entries that contained DAP entries. So that got me thinking... is it possible that Search Extender/HSA hijacked DAP and changed it?

After I followed all the instructions, I tried it and I still get the same result -- it says DAP can't be loaded. So I went beyond what the instructions said and removed anything from the registry that looked like it was from DAP. Didn't make any difference. I ran Hijack This but I didn't see anything that was related to DAP. Is it possible that DAP has integrated into the browsers so that it tries to be activated when I download something? I should also note that I could download stuff when I reinstalled DAP, but obviously I don't wanna leave it on the computer. Any suggestions?

2. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

ttt... anybody?

3. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

nobody knows how to get rid of DAP?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice