1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search feature problem

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 17, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I made a search and specified the last six months, my own user name and only threads containing "GPS" in the subject line. The results were every thread I had participated in for the last year or more, and the term, GPS, not only didn't appear in the subject line, it didn't appear anywhere in the threads I examined.

Is this fixable?

2. oldie

oldie

Similar problem here chum :confused:

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Very strange! I'll see what I can figure out.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I tried Alex's search and got a bunch of his posts. Is it possible that GPS was filtered out because it's shorter than 4 characters? If I use GPS alone, I get:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : gps

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Yup, I think you're right.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Well, I got the same message but overlooked it.

It seems odd, though, that if the term is too short, I get any search result at all. Seems to me it would take some small load off the server if the search feature would simply reject a term that is too short.

Anyway, I have a better understanding now.

7. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Oh, it's supposed to! As John pointed out, without the username it reports "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Unfortunatley, it just doesn't seem to do that if you include a username. I'm looking into it. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice