1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Search Form for Website

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by web_princess24, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. web_princess24

web_princess24 Thread Starter

I am trying to build a search form for my website. I only want it to search the pages that are within my site, not anything outside of it. Does anyone have a clue how to do this???

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Hey princess,

What would be the search parameters you would be looking for? Would you just want to do a name search like intel and it would pull up www.intel.com

There are many ways you could do this, but standard HTML won't do it for you. You need a database you can search against and a web interface that can access a database like ASP, PHP or something similar. Your ISP also needs to support these formats.

3. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

^^^^^^^^^^^^

does your server support php/asp?

If you're server only supports html then this would be impossible.

BUt if you support PHP i think I might beable to help.

If its ASP you're after then you're outta luck :(

4. web_princess24

Yes, the server supports PHP and ASP. I have been trying to work with the search function within FrontPage 2000 (not by choice mind you :) ) I am having no luck with it at all!

What I want to do is have someone come to the site and be able to search for other pages within the same site, nothing outside of it. I have seen companies that will do this for you (Pico.com for example), but this is a very simple website and I really don't want to have to pay for a solution if I can code it myself.

Thanks!!!!!

5. Rockn

Rockn

Unless your pages code is indexed by either a database or by some other method you can't do it. A lot of sites use a seach engine that runs behind the scenes (like Infoseek) and indexes every web page on the web site. I think there is a way with ASP to use the FileSystem object and parse all the html to text. I am not sure how you would search with that method though. If you put all of the content minus the htnl tags into a database it would be very easy to search and return a URL. How big is your web site that you would need a search feature on it anyway??

6. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

7. Rockn

Rockn

That would be assuming she was running MySQL on the server. It still doesn't give you the ability to search web pages, only the contents of a database and all of the thml minus the tags would have to be manually entered into it.

8. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

yes that is true.

also i bleive there are sites where you just take there code and put it on your site and it does the search for you.

I know i've seen it somewhere.

I'll look into that

9. ksuwyldkat

ksuwyldkat

I saw an article mentioning a company called Atomz, that will make a search form for you. I believe it was free if you had less than 500 pages. Here is their link www.atomz.com.

Not sure if this is true. I saw the article in this months pcworld.
    Here is the link to the article

It is the Hidden gems page.

10. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

yah that looks good

i knew there were sites like this.

cool.. ima bookmark that ;)

11. web_princess24

:) Thank you everyone for all of your help! I have looked into Atomz and it seems like it might be the way to go. This is just a small site with not even 200 pages, but it has to be searchable because of the contents on the site.

Thanks again for all of the help!!!!! :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/86492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice